Received approval for 1947 plate!!

insaneradio

Here in oz its a different story..........there are 6 states and 2 territories, basically they have all had the same general procedure....when you bought your new car it was "registered" for use by the state Dept of Motor Transport who issued a pair of "number" plates, metal stamped plates with 5, 6 or 7 letters and numbers and the state of issue stamped into the plate.......the DMT also issued a windscreen decal with the month of issue highlighted together with the year and some basic car details such as chassis number, this windscreen decal essentially takes the place of the "tags" that you guys in the USA have on your licence plates...........around 1 month before the yearly anniversary of the date your car was registered the DMT posts out a copy of the original registration papers that they issued with the new date the car has to be checked that its roadworthy by a DMT authorised and licenced motor mechanic who checks the car brakes, steering, lights etc and issues it with a form saying its passed........you take this form, your new rego papers and money to the DMT and its o/k'd for another 12 mths of use...........if the car is kept roadworthy and in use from the day its 1st registered then it may have the same number plate that it was originally issued with 10, 20, 50 or 80 yrs ago which won't have the year of issue on it as that was only ever on that windscreen decal which was issued each year with your new rego papers when you paid the money at the DMT...........

..............over the years there have been some changes such as now in the state I live in, New South Wales they don't issue a new windscreen decal any more as the police can do a search via the number plate and immediately know if the car is currently registered and therefore insured( if you look closely at the 2nd pic you can see the old "rego" decal in the Oz passenger side 1/4 window)..........there are a whole pile of "personalised" number plates available but these cost various amounts ranging from a one off fee to upwards of $500 per year for different colours and number/letter combinations..........there are also plates issued for vintage, veteran, classic and historic as well as Street Rod plates, these variations have the type of plate stamped into them and are of different colours to the normal personalised plates.......

...........my 1940 Dodge when I bought it in September 1971 had ECR855 as the number plate which was not the original plate, this was a yellow with black letters & numbers issued in the early  to mid 1960's probably just as a replacement for the faded original black with white lettered original 1940 plate...........I replaced ECR855 as it was getting a bit old & tired looking in the mid 1970's with GXL942, a yellow /black plate which it still uses............one thing that I am unable to verify but have assumed is that as my car since I have owned it from September 1971 has never been unregistered it quite possible that as its registration renewal is due in November each year then thats when it was 1st registered back in 1940..........unlike the US these cars were generally released for sale around the middle of the relevant year, certainly not like the USA from September/October the previous year so my car was probably 1st registered and on the road possibly from November 1940........I've no way to confirm any of this as the Oz records are non existant but who knows............lol............anyway this is my oz 2 cents worth.......andyd              

P1000670.JPG

P1000705 (800x600).jpg

Edited by Andydodge
more info
  • Like 1