Received approval for 1947 plate!!

insaneradio

I have received approval for DMV to utilize an original 1947 Louisiana license plate!  I have owned the plate for probably 20 years but only recently looked into registering vehicle with the plate.  After a couple simple requirements I received a new registration today with my new/old licence plate!  Plus it is good indefinitely!

I have just recently started driving it regularly.  I am now semi retired and now have time to drive and enjoy.  I have owned it for almost 30 years.  Here are  few pictures of my car along with my new license plate!!

rsz_20160704_105920[1].jpg

rsz_120180601_173012[1].jpg

rsz_20160704_110143[2].jpg

rsz_20160704_092548[1].jpg

rsz_20160704_111828-1[1].jpg

rsz_20180601_173021[1].jpg

rsz_20160704_105806[1] (1).jpg

rsz_120160704_110109[1].jpg

Edited by insaneradio
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Interesting sunvisor.  Do you know the brand?  Like the anti Macassar's on the seats to, reminds me of Grandma's house.  As regards the year of manufacture plate I can think of only one thing to say,

"A wonderful bird is the Pelican.
His beak can hold more than his belly can.
He can hold in his beak
Enough food for a week!
But I'll be darned if I know how the hellican?”

18 minutes ago, greg g said:

Interesting sunvisor.  Do you know the brand?  Like the anti Macassar's on the seats to, reminds me of Grandma's house.  As regards the year of manufacture plate I can think of only one thing to say,

"A wonderful bird is the Pelican.
His beak can hold more than his belly can.
He can hold in his beak
Enough food for a week!
But I'll be darned if I know how the hellican?”

The visor is made by a company called Vision Visor from Chicago Ill.  I have found no information about the company.  Maybe another member can shed some light??  Oh yea----the "doilies" are an accent from my ex-mother in-la.  Sadly she has passed.

rsz_20180601_221114[1].jpg

I accomplished the same with my Dodge.  Didn't think I'd get to do it as Alaska is a two plate state and they only made one in 47and it is made of soy.  I made a replica and the DMV director personally approved it.  Mine is also permanent. 

IMG_1802.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, casper50 said:

I accomplished the same with my Dodge.  Didn't think I'd get to do it as Alaska is a two plate state and they only made one in 47and it is made of soy.  I made a replica and the DMV director personally approved it.  Mine is also permanent. 

IMG_1802.JPG

Fantastic!  I think it "completes" the whole package.  I am surprised they approved a reproduction!  Good for you!

FWIW. At one time I had a stack of Louisiana plates from WWII that were, I was told, made from sugar cane pulp. All brand new in wrappers never issued.  I sold then probably 15 years ago.  

Very nice looking Plymouth!  And congrats on getting the YOM plate approved.  Here in Maine, if the vehicle is registered as an antique, all you have to do is put reasonably serviceable YOM plates on the car, and keep the "new" ones in the vehicle in case the Po-po need to see them.  Had our D24 registered in 5 States now, this is by far the easiest to run YOM plates in.

• Like 1

Congratulations on getting to use your antique license plate on your antique car. I love the idea of a vintage car having a vintage license plate of the same year. Kansas has a similar program—the license plate can be of the year of manufacture of the vehicle, or newer, but not older (that seems to make obvious sense . . .). There the license plate remains with the car until it’s sold, at which time the plate is removed, and it has to transferred separately, or if the seller wishes to keep the old license plate, the new owner has to acquire an appropriate vintage license plate, or get a regular antique plate.

We have a '47 Kansas plate on the front of the car, even tho' we don't live there right now.

PS—VERY nice car, by the way!!!

Edited by DrDoctor
  • Thanks 1

Illinois will let you put a year of manufacturer plate on a car with Historic Antique plates as long as you have the correct issue plate in the car. Unfortunately the plate most of us use(Expanded Antique) isn't allowed to be part of that program

A strange thing happened to me. I am in Minnesota and found a nice pair of '51 plates for my car about 25 years ago. I went to the Deputy Registrar, filled out some forms and I was ready to go. I used the plates for 7 or 8 years. One day I went to the mailbox, and there was a letter from the DMV stating that the number on my YOM plates had been re-issued so I could no longer continue using them. Along with the letter was a brand new set of Minnesota Collector Car plates. The one good thing about it, is that they did the whole thing for no charge. I wasn't happy having to remove my nice set of 1951 plates, but at least it didn't cost me anything.

Now this has got me thinking; that was at least 15 years ago, and I'll bet the plates issued with my number have been long superseded. I still have the nice 1951 plates, so one of these days, I'm going to take a trip to the Deputy Registrar and see if I can use them again. Thanks for reminding me.

I have YOM plate on my truck. The truck is a '53 and the plate is '52 as AZ only issued even year plates back then and a corner tag was bolted on the plate for odd years. Here you can go online and check if the plate is currently in use before you go to MVD to register it.

You have to go to the State Capitol once a year and fill out a form....pay $50 (cash only) and they issue you a sticker for the inside of your windshield.  You keep your regular plate in the trunk and you can then display your antique one. After a decade or so I got tired of making that trip (and having to take off work to do it).  Oh....and this doesn't take the place of renewing your regular license tag each year.  You have to do that too, but at least you can do that by mail.

• Thanks 1