318 Poly info help

Andydodge

I know that this is not quite the place for this but living here in Australia is sometimes a little disadvantageous.......I have a 318 poly in my 1940 Dodge....the Weiand intake has corroded again and been repaired again but has leaked into the sump giving me about a gallon & a half of chocolate milk........so I need to talk to the people in Texas who have made the new Poly 4 barrel wind plane intake manifold........I have left phone messages and also sent emails without success so I am inquiring whether anyone here knows the people from Chrysler Action magazine who were involved in this intake manifold project......I know Roland Osborne passed away about 12 mths ago but I hope the project is continuing............anyway I hope this appeal for info can be left on here.......thanks, Andy Douglas      

Andy, I got your message so I'll reply here in case others have questions. There are, no doubt, plenty of loose ends that still plague those folks trying to keep all of Rolands's balls in the air. It seems that he had his fingers in lots-o-stuff.

As of this day there is a backlog for production. The foundry is the choke point and short of someone being there on a weekly basis to keep things moving the slow pace may continue for an underterminate time. 

I will suggest to anyone interested in a manifold that you should place the order and be patient. You will, at least, be in line.

Edited by wayfarer

Gary, I appreciate your reply, thanks for the update.......andyd

18 hours ago, Andydodge said:

I know that this is not quite the place for this but living here in Australia is sometimes a little disadvantageous.......I have a 318 poly in my 1940 Dodge....the Weiand intake has corroded again and been repaired again but has leaked into the sump giving me about a gallon & a half of chocolate milk........so I need to talk to the people in Texas who have made the new Poly 4 barrel wind plane intake manifold........I have left phone messages and also sent emails without success so I am inquiring whether anyone here knows the people from Chrysler Action magazine who were involved in this intake manifold project......I know Roland Osborne passed away about 12 mths ago but I hope the project is continuing............anyway I hope this appeal for info can be left on here.......thanks, Andy Douglas      

My buddy Mike Harding has a fancy 4 BBL on his Poly...  Should I ask him about it?  Could be the same folks that made the one your inquiring about.

Jack.....................I would be VERY interested to speak to your buddy.........the intake I have on my Poly is a Weiand alloy single 4 barrel intake, # 7503.........if your buddy has one of the SuperPac single 4 Air Gap style intakes which have only been available for 2-3 yrs at the most then any info re how it works, etc would be most helpful..........have attached a pic of what I have at present........I really would like to call your buddy if possible...........thanks, Andy Douglas   

P1000806 (800x600).jpg

Andy,

Sorry, but I can’t provide any assistance to you in this matter. However, I’m curious as to what’s causing the catastrophic failure of your intake manifold. We live on the Atlantic coast, and the salt air is pure hell on aluminum. So, I was wondering, do you live close to the Australian coast???

Warmest regards.

Andy,

My brother is restoring our family's 1963 Plymouth Fury. He's upgraded the 318 Poly with a 4-barrel manifold which I think is the one to which you refer:

https:///cpwebstore.com/Exhaust/Manifolds

Now, he's had the manifold since 2014 so his experience isn't equal to yours. However, the manifold was designed by Gary Pavlovich a knowledgeable Poly authority. My brother has been in contact with him and provided this email address:

glpavlovich@cox.net

Perhaps if you contact Gary he can provide help regarding your Weiand problems so you don't have to wait for the production problems to clear up.

Best regards, and I always enjoy reading your posts

MarkM

Jack, Mark & Doc.........I've been running the Weiand intake since the mid 70's, over 40 yrs now.....some of the issues its had are the exhaust tube thats cast into the manifold and is a steel tube that allowed the stock style carby choke tube to connect with hot air broke off after a few years so that was removed then welded up on either side, then of course there is the flat area underneath the intake manifold where the normal exhaust runs from one side to the other has cracked due to the heat twice, the 2nd time it was discovered when I removed the manifold to fix the fine water weep above the water transfer port..........as for the water port issues........I had been using a corrosion inhibitor but it obviously wasn't enough so I had to get it rewelded and I used the stock style intake gaskets......on the front I always use silicon as from experience yrs ago i found the stock foam gasket at the front and rear squeeze out and guarantee to leak so have found a bead of silicon fixes that.....the stock side gaskets are a stamped steel concoction and whilst they maybe o/k for a stock cast iron intake I think that even after very carefully filing and cleaning the area around the welded water port it just didn't seal properly.........so..........have drained the water and what passes for oil.......lol...... I will throw some sacrifical oil and a new filter in the engine, run it for a couple of minutes, no more, as no water in the block, change the filter again, run for a couple of minutes then throw this 2nd filter and the oil away then pull intake manifold off and at the very least chase up a composite gasket and use it with silicon around the water ports at the very least..................and chase up one of these new intakes............ain't old cars FUN!!!!.................lol..............

Mark.........your Brothers intake manifold is what I'm after..........its the air gap style manifold that Gary Pavlovich, Roland Osborne and others designed........is it possible to speak to your brother as I'd like to ask a few questions re how the installation etc of that intake went..........thanks, guys.........Andy Douglas          

Edited by Andydodge
more info

Andy,

my brother’s car is a project at Gearhead Garage in Sacramento, CA. It is still there pending completion. He, my brother, did not do the work.

Here’s a link to their contact us page with a phone number too. Mention Jim Morgan’s 1963 Fury. I hope they’ll help you.

gearheadgarage.net/contact-us/

Good luck!

Mark, thanks, I'll give them a call this week........regards, andyd 

Why did I sell the 40 Dodge Coupe?.............which time?.............I only sold it twice...........lol.............I sold it to a mate in the mid 70's then as he didn't have the ability to do anything on it himself he paid me to rebuild the chassis, upgrade the steering & brakes, rear end and install a 245 Hemi 6 and manual 3 speed .........then his marriage fell apart, he sold the car as a bare body shell on the rolling chassis to Peter Hughes, who's father owned the Ivan Hughes, The Buick King business...........Peter didn't go to the former owners place to pick up all the body panels, doors, front sheet metal, dash etc, etc, he didn't think that it would be an issue........BUT..........so the former owners wife or mother(???) THREW everything in the rubbish  collection..........Peter had no idea where to get this stuff from so sold the rolling chassis to me with the bare body shell sitting on it............I installed a 302 Cleveland & FMX with a 68 Dodge Phoenix diff then purchased a reasonable 1940 Dodge 4 dr sedan to obtain all the front sheetmetal, dash, seat, bumpers etc, etc.........the boot or trunk lid which all Mopar Coupes and Roadsters made in Oz from at least 1936 to 1940 had the same piece I obtained from Shepparton in Victoria on my honeymoon..............lol..............I then fiddled and farted around with the coupe for a few more years before deciding to sell it when we lived in Springwood in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney.......the guy that bought it in 1987 lived in the Sydney suburb of Riverstone and to this day no ones seen hide nor hair of it.............the pics showing its rather dishevelled appearance were taken the day I sold it the 2nd time, that guy in the pic is the purchaser........."The Dodge Story" is the lead page on the history of the Dodge make that Custom Rodder magazine ran in 1972 with the pic of MY CAR, rego, ATB161....this pic was taken before I bought the car in 1969 and is the only pic I have of it before I pulled it apart.........note that the front has been in a prang and the bumper is bent, which was missing when I got the car .....the grille and front sheet metal had also been hit..........my original idea when I decided to purchase the 1940 Dodge Sedan I still have was that IT was to provide the front sheet metal for the coupe but it was too good to pull apart..................so theres the story.....more or less...........lol.................andyd          

1940DodgePic3.jpg

1939PlymouthUte.jpg

DodgeCoupePics3.jpg

Here in California in the early ‘60s the ‘40 Ford coupe was THE car to have. Looking at Andy’s Dodge I just think it was so much better looking than the Ford.

Dunno. Maybe it was because the Ford came with a V8, although by then the flatheads were being pulled to install SBCs. Maybe there were so many available. But the Dodge was better looking. To me.

All the best,

MarkM

• Like 1

The same held true in the mid-west. I made a deal with a “friend” to buy his ’46 Ford club coupe for $210, and when I went to pay for it, the guy had sold it a few hours earlier for $250. It had a 283 Chevy in front of an original drive-train.

So much for “friends”. That event is a classic example of a phrase from John Mellencam, and a physician friend of mine whose  paraphrased version of I still quote: “People, they ain’t no damn good!!!

I do agree that the post-war Plymouth’s and Dodge’s had a better profile, especially the “b-pillar”. On the Ford’s, it’s vertical, while on the Plymouth’s/Dodge’s, it’s slanted, approximating the slope of the rear of the roof, and blending in much smoother, for a more refined look.

Warmest regards to all . . .

Mark & Doc......I'm not real sure that the 1940 Oz Dodge Coupe was that good a looker.......lol.......different but as these were only made here in Oz they are extremely rare, exact numbers are unknown but doubtful if they made enough to get into triple figures.........as far as I am aware in 1940 here in Oz only Dodge & Plymouth were available in this Coupe style which was made FROM a 4dr sedan body shell or at least started life as a 4dr sedan..........they used 4dr sedan front doors with just 1/2" skimmed off the top rear edge of the door to clear the downward curving rain gutter, the centre door pillar was that from the sedan and still had the rear door recesses, etc.........when you opened the doors the roof had been cut straight across in the centre from one side to the other with a 1/4 to 3/8th 90 degree fold then the rear of the roof wheeled up or stamped with the same 90 degree fold then the 2 pieces gas welded together......the rear window stamping & size was the same as that used on the 4dr sedan.........the trunk lid as I mentioned was the same used in all Oz mopar coupes & roadsters from 36 to 40 and its inner pressing included stampings and recesses to allow either a trunk lid or rumble seat to be installed with the appropriate hinges and bracketry......although I have never seen a 40 Coupe with a factory rumble seat, however there is a 40 Plymouth Coupe here that has had its trunk lid changed to a rumble seat configeration..........inside the trunk of these 40 Coupes there was the use of 1/4" by 2" steel strapings to reinforce the trunk opening as well as support the sides of the body shell..........the small square opening behind the Oz passenger door was a "golf club" door that opened into the front of the trunk as otherwise it was impossible to reach the front of the trunk due to the high mounted trunk opening..........I'd happily have my old car back again but I'd be surprised if it exists now........since obtaining my car in 1969 nearly 50 yrs ago I have seen in person or via pics 6 or 7 1940 Oz Dodge or Plymouth Coupes, there maybe a few more around but they are not common........note the pic from a 1940 OZ Plymouth sales brochure.....it seems that TJ Richards who made these had thought that they were going to use a US style body or doors at least even tho' the golf club door was to make an appearance in this rendering.........regards, andyd.         

1940PlymouthPic1.jpg

1940DodgeCoupe4.bmp

img004 (8).jpg

1940PlymouthPic2.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

As a follow-up to my previous comments pertaining to the Plymouth (and Dodge) vs Ford (and Chevrolet), I tho’t the following might be interesting . . .

1946Plymouth-ARTL-Literature.docx

Thanks for posting - an interesting comparison, this one I had not seen.

Plymouthy...........stopped taking your meds today did ya?............lol............andyd

• Like 1

On 6/2/2018 at 12:54 PM, MarkM said:

Andy,

My brother is restoring our family's 1963 Plymouth Fury. He's upgraded the 318 Poly with a 4-barrel manifold which I think is the one to which you refer:

https:///cpwebstore.com/Exhaust/Manifolds

Now, he's had the manifold since 2014 so his experience isn't equal to yours. However, the manifold was designed by Gary Pavlovich a knowledgeable Poly authority. My brother has been in contact with him and provided this email address:

glpavlovich@cox.net

Perhaps if you contact Gary he can provide help regarding your Weiand problems so you don't have to wait for the production problems to clear up.

Best regards, and I always enjoy reading your posts

MarkM

Just a qualifier at this point in history...

The design team was staffed by: Roland Osborne (RIP), Marty Algrim, Gary Pavlovich and myself along with a generous amount of help from the foundry operator, Javier Vasquez.

Thank you for fleshing out the holes in my understanding. I meant no disrespect.

I apologize, also, to everyone, for posting references or links to places external to the site.

Andy, best of luck with a solution.

Mark,

Don’t take it personal. Some people just get their undies in a twist with very little provocation. If someone does irritate you, just ignore them. Life’s too short to let snotty people ruin your day. Trust me on that one . . .  Warmest regards to you . . .

I spoke with Mike Harding today.  He is going to reach out to find a intake.  He was involved too... 

Roland was the biggest inspiration.  After his death, Mike has kept his Plymouth going with that same intake manifold.  Roland is still missed...

I met Gary some time ago, I admire his drive in keeping the Poly alive.  Wayfarer, do you know Mike?  He used to do Hot Rod TV.  When I first began my old shop back in 2002, Mike and I worked together.  He and I still have our old Plymouth's with the same engines in them. Man time flys!

Jack............any chance I can phone you?............thanks, Andy Douglas 

16 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Jack............any chance I can phone you?............thanks, Andy Douglas 

Absolutely!  I will PM my #