7th Annual "International Work On Your Truck Day"

22 hours ago, John-T-53 said:

Mayo jars are the cat's pajamas for this kind o' stuff. Trader Joe's still sells their mayo in glass jar (w/blue top). I feel bad every time we throw one out!

A few years ago I visited an old friend's basement shop.  He was/is a meticulous sort, and had dozens of Hellman's mayo jars with the caps neatly screwed to the floor joists above his bench filled with fasteners and the like all nicely sorted in each.  I had to give him some grief, though:  Hellman's didn't consistently use the same shade blue in their lids over time.  He admitted that bugged him!

• Haha 2

Seeing those parts stored in glass jars reminds me of a funny story...

My Uncle stored many old nuts, bolts, screws, and washers in glass jars. He would nail the tin lids of those glass jars to the wooden floor beams in the garage under the house and then screw the glass jar up and back onto the lid. Their house was right on the water on the east coast of Australia, so in time the seals on the tin lids would loosen and the glass jars would fall causing glass to shatter on the concrete garage floor.... and the contents of the jar to be spread everywhere!

My Cousins called those jars ‘Dad’s bombs’ as they reckon they went off like a bomb exploding when they hit the floor shattering glass and ‘shrapnel’ in every direction.

Edited by Desotodav
  • Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:05 AM, Desotodav said:

Seeing those parts stored in glass jars reminds me of a funny story...

My Uncle stored many old nuts, bolts, screws, and washers in glass jars. He would nail the tin lids of those glass jars to the wooden floor beams in the garage under the house and then screw the glass jar up and back onto the lid. Their house was right on the water on the east coast of Australia, so in time the seals on the tin lids would loosen and the glass jars would fall causing glass to shatter on the concrete garage floor.... and the contents of the jar to be spread everywhere!

My Cousins called those jars ‘Dad’s bombs’ as they reckon they went off like a bomb exploding when they hit the floor shattering glass and ‘shrapnel’ in every direction.

could be considered a crude "IED"....haha

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2018 at 12:22 PM, Kris Bolstad said:

I shared a bit of history last summer – Pilot-House Friends thread that Merle initiated.  See that if you’re interested. 

Following a brief burst of life after 35 years of sitting, the truck has been laid up since early Nov ’17 with rear brake cylinder leak.  (Hindsight is clear: all cylinders should have been replaced right from the get-go.  Mistake one was not doing that.  Mistake two was not replacing rears when fronts were done.  Lesson learned). 

A few other things needed attention so I spent the winter addressing those.  I’m close to ready for a reveal and will share more soon.

Merle stopped by this morning to provide a bit of education and share his talents (and tools).  Cylinders replaced in short order – goes quick when you know what you’re doing.  Will be getting shoes relined and drums cleaned up this week.   I’m anxious to get the truck back on the road.  Several projects are hanging that need the truck and I want to drive it again!!!!!!

Well, today we finished the brake job. Kris had the shoes relined locally, as well as cutting the drums. We get it all back together this morning, on hot and humid day. It was good to see the truck out of the garage again. 

Kris did quite a lot of work to it over the winter/spring. I helped him with some of the more technical things, but he did most of the work. Atta Boy, Kris. You done good...

Our test run this morning...

• Like 3