7th Annual "International Work On Your Truck Day"

45 minutes ago, Brent B3B said:

two years in a row I failed  to work on my truck :huh:........yesterday, I had the day off and practiced tearing apart the parts transmission (practicing for the B4D) 

1760057131_practice(1).jpg.fe1d27d576690e39ca8b6110b6b861bb.jpg

I really didn't do much today on mine........... put on the lower door pans on "Rob"

I am so lazy!    (Think i'll take tomorrow off :)

Even for practice it's a brave man that takes a transmission apart over dirt! We had rain almost all day so I didn't get anything done on my trucks either. 

15 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

Even for practice it's a brave man that takes a transmission apart over dirt! We had rain almost all day so I didn't get anything done on my trucks either. 

Yeah when I pulled the drain plug and about 10oz of water came out first I knew it didn't matter 

image.jpg.ace84c9b38c6484a6d800873c4a2b041.jpg

no fear, when I do it for real I'll be over gravel.....  LOL 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Not sure if I should applaud Merle for helping or give him crap that it's work on your truck day not work on someone else's truck day....

Well Ed, I did sort of work on my truck too... Not really working on my truck, but more working around my truck as I got my garage squared away after wrapping up a couple other projects. Part of that required clearing off the things that accumulate on top of my truck. I love my touneau cover, but it creates a great flat surface to collect things. 

• Like 1

Rolled Roxanne into the driveway at the crack of dawn to polish and wax her all over (she likes that) then drove her into town for the Fort Collins Old Town Car Show. Rox was the only Dodge truck at the show. Plenty of Ferds 'n Chebbies, two GMC and two Internationals.

I gave her a First Place award in her class.

20180602_164455-1024x576.jpg

Edited by FlashBuddy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

Well Ed, I did sort of work on my truck too... Not really working on my truck, but more working around my truck as I got my garage squared away after wrapping up a couple other projects. Part of that required clearing off the things that accumulate on top of my truck. I love my touneau cover, but it creates a great flat surface to collect things. 

yup happens to mine too. Typically from other members of the household....... right now it's got an inflatable pool on it!

I've had the rear fenders painted for a couple years now but never finished up with the cut and buff so yesterday I got one out and went to work on it.  Started out with 1000 grit and worked my way up to 3000, followed by rubbing compound and the buffer.  I may even get the other one out and do it up later this week.

100_4284.JPG

Edited by Dave72dt
  • Like 2

as promised...pictures...it rained pretty much the whole time I was out, I maybe had a half hour tops at one point that I wasn't getting drizzled on at least.  Ed hooked me up with some extensions, and Tim is going to at some point as well, but I figured having more options is better than having none!

20180603_143548.jpg.3bb03246c91a8134b534a62d2a8f488a.jpg

20180604_053209.jpg.c96e314a9bfd1802d368ffafa8840c1d.jpg

I also dug thru the trucks from last visit and pulled some parts to have for others: Model 61 heater, speedo, accessory pod, some more knobs (yes, Brent I owe ya pics soon), some B1 horn button parts and a fuel pump.

20180604_053223.jpg.75b1694b0e1b2d4ca1a14ccb8f8504a5.jpg

They had this sitting there looking for a new home, $1100.  But he's got some BAD cancer.

20180602_082617.jpg.d7ad9c1e4c48879b926ba3c8beb89690.jpg

• Thanks 1

Best thing about these trucks........once you get them right they don't really require much work. ?

Put about a pint of oil in it and then drove down to Dana Point and went out fishing for the day.

A fun time was had by all. Thanks good old Dodge truck.

Jeff

• Like 3

I started mine (forgot to post) and lamented the fact the the fuel gauge no longer works. But it was sure easy to start and idled wonderfully. (Pats self on back for putting in a 6v electric fuel pump). Locked the truck again when I was done cuz I CAN!

Cobwebs successfully burned off. Phew! A full day's work indeed.

• Like 3

I've been a bit busy with night shifts at work, and then packing shipping containers with hospital and school charity items in every bit of my spare time.

I did get time to get the blue truck out recently and picked up the 'best old school' trophy at the local NAPA car show. Hopefully the FaceBook link works...   https://www.facebook.com/pg/napaautosuperstorelogancity/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10155288563680957  

NAPA best old school 2018.jpg

• Like 6

What an awesome amount of truck work that was done!!!

I didn't get pictures posted yet, but I did save yet another old dodge truck.

She was sitting next to a building of similar age that was set to be knocked down.

Turns out she was gonna be crushed along with the old building. I pleaded  with the owner and got 

him to sell it to me for 100 bucks and I would haul it out...I called my haul'n buddy and we saved her butt

for whatever may come to pass. Maybe parts, maybe its own rebuild....the deal is, I can't stand to see the big ol trucks go down

without a fight. I'll post pictures as soon as I can!

48D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ok my rule is to get one thing a week done on truck, 48 B1-f.so here we go 52 items completed a year.

air up tires

rebuild light switch

choke cable

water pump replace new rock auto $34. Thanks for that pilot house members.

lube every cable switch and latch & pivot point all is good now. More to go.

at this rate I might have a good truck in a year.

that was last week. 

62E0DE6A-CFFD-42FE-96FE-89993353F51F.jpeg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, itek4bux said:

Thanks to the endless help from Brent B3B, I got my '51 B3B running for the first time... on International Work on Your Truck Day!  For a guy who claims he's not a mechanic, he sure knows his stuff about these trucks.  I really can't thank him enough.  :) 

B3B_first_start2.MOV

I think we got lucky but, the look of disbelief/ shock and joy on your face when "Blue" fired up was thanks enough :)

a lot of us have had that feeling...... nice to be able to help out.      

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did get started on an adapter for the tire changer, but wouldn't ya know it, my neighbor wanted his ATV tires swapped out...I was still kinda dragging from a lingering sinus infection, and coupled with the 100° temps, I was totally gassed by dinner time, so that's been put on hold again for a little while.

A week later, I got back to organizing my parts inventory I started over a year ago.  I need to clear out that workspace to prep two exterior doors I need to replace on the house, so I was motivated to move this back to the top of the priority list.  The work table was covered with layers of boxes of completed project parts and supplies that dated back to last Spring...once I got that cleared off and squared away, there were the rotting boxes and ripped bags and rusty coffee cans and splitting butter tubs of bolts, screws, etc that I had collected from a few trades back in 2012.  It took the better part of 2 days to go through everything, identifying hardware that belonged to certain parts of the trucks, hardware that needed to be scrapped, and hardware that belonged elsewhere.  There was quite a bit of International Harvester parts mixed in with several bags of Dodge Truck bolts, as well as lawnmower parts, electrical junction box parts, and generic sheet metal screws.  I filled up the big coffee can with rusty hardware that was not worth using , probably about 20# of scrap to sell.  After separating the good from the bad, I realized that I needed to get all the door hardware out of the deteriorating plastic containers...so on my next trip to town, I picked up a few of those hardware organizers and filled them up.  I also had several years' collection of peanut butter, mayo, lemonade mix and peanut plastic containers that I finally got to use, and several larger tubs to compartmentalize all this hardware.  It's been a tedious task that was long overdue, but now I have an organized hardware inventory and freed up a shelf on a storage rack...MISSION ACCOMPLISHED  :cool:

large.smIMG_20180614_2036507.jpg.6d8139312e69a78d0f77961af8e78202.jpg

large.smIMG_20180614_2040226.jpg.03fef60c5a02f3a898dbd4ca0c9ae26a.jpg

large.smIMG_20180614_2038120.jpg.d102f66241ecb6d4b5e50a067b6cc237.jpg

large.smIMG_20180614_2039318.jpg.f3e6432de0dcc1ae84bbbb6e0b33298e.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised pictures
  • Like 4

I started buying the small jars of peanut butter and mayo just so I could use the empties to store small parts several years ago...I had noticed somewhere along the way that HDPE butter tubs were too thin and would split open after a year or so from becoming brittle (same with Cool Whip tubs)...the pb and mayo jars were thicker HDPE with wide mouths, making for better hardware containers...and the microwave dinners that came in PETE trays were a good source as well (Boston Market?) as the PETE trays are durable for sorting and soaking small parts...peanut containers of thick HDPE are also good parts storage, especially the rectangular versions as they can be stacked...plastic bags are OK for short term storage, but they age, tear, and deteriorate to the point of being a nuisance... also, if the parts inside are not pristine, the plastic stains to the point of needing the contents dumped out in order to identify them :cool: