7th Annual "International Work On Your Truck Day"

OK.....its the last days of May, so the International Work On Your Truck Day #7 is falling on June 2nd!!!

No excuses Great Lakers area folks!!!(is that a thing?) the snow has GOT to be melted by now!

The Five Rules:

1.  Work on your truck. Not Mark's, but yours...unless you are Mark, then work on your truck buddy.

2.  Report what you did to the Forum, not the girl at the post office, she doesn't care, she's just trying to get the junk mail sent out.

3.  Post a picture of what you did. Its all good, sitting in it counts.....but at least hold a hammer or something.

4. Explain how you got the truck, what inspires you about it.

5. Try to share the days experience as soon as you can!!!

Sharing is caring!!!.....Believe it or not, your story could inspire one of us to get back to it! Your story could help build another truck!!!

Good luck!!!! Here comes Saturday!!!

48D 

Edited by 48Dodger
  • Like 2

OK, I am located in Germany, so I think I meet International ?!

Rule 1.: Working on MY 1939 PT81 - changed the rear end ratio from 4.11 to 3.73

Rule 2.: After month of search I finally got a 3.73 diff which fits to my truck. Unfortunately I was delivered by an old wrinkled man, not the nice post office girl ?

Rule 3.: see below

Rule 4.: I got my truck 4 1/2 years ago. Has been 15 years in a barn in Iowa until a friend found it. He needed something to fill the shipping container (he`s more a Ford guy, sorry). So this was my chance !!! He wasn`t really interested in, today he could cry (hahaha, he will not get it back) The only PT81 in Germany then (today probably 3). What inspires me: I felt in love with the nose ?. The technique anyway ...

Rule 5.: Took a lot of research what differential parts will fit into the truck pumpkin. A forum guy of Minnesota which also owns a PT had the same problem. We interchanged our research results and finally both got 3.73 gears which fits to the truck`s pumpkin. Plug and play. Will post the essence, soon.

Rules fulfilled ?!

373diff.jpg.b2d386a16e64300bd155e4cf67cf2ec9.jpg

Edited by PT81Jan
spelling errors, hahaha
  • Like 2

I'm in California, might as well be in a foreign country.  Drove truck to get carb rebuild kit, the accelerater pump is not working and parts for the Suburban which may qualify as well. This church was too tempting, had to get a photo. 

IMG_3259.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PT81Jan said:

Rule 2.: After month of search I finally got a 3.73 diff which fits to my truck. Unfortunately I was delivered by an old wrinkled man, not the nice post office girl ?

Rule 3.: see attachment

Rule 4.: I got my trucks 4 1/2 years ago. Has been 15 years in a barn in Iowa until a friend found it. He needed something to fill the container (he`s more a Ford guy, sorry). So this was my chance !!! He wasn`t really interseted in, today he could cry (hahaha, he will not get it back) The only PT81 in Germany then (today probably 3). What inspires me: I felt in love with the nose ?. The technique anyway ...

Rule 5.: Took a lot of research what differential parts will fit into the truck pumpkin. A forum guy of Minnesota which also owns a PT had the same problem. We interchanged our research results and finally both got 3.73 gears which fits to the truck`s pumpkin. Plug and play. Will post the essence, soon.

Rules fulfilled ?!

Is that MN me?? Or do I need to find this other guy with a plymouth truck?

I was gonna ask you that, Ed...! Wouldn't you remember if it was you?????....

"...was delivered by an old wrinkled man, not the nice post office girl."....

lol, well that describes about 98% of the guys posting on this site. :D

48D 

13 hours ago, PT81Jan said:

Rule 3.: see attachment

Rule 4.: I got my trucks 4 1/2 years ago. Has been 15 years in a barn in Iowa until a friend found it. He needed something to fill the container (he`s more a Ford guy, sorry). So this was my chance !!! He wasn`t really interseted in, today he could cry (hahaha, he will not get it back) The only PT81 in Germany then (today probably 3). What inspires me: I felt in love with the nose ?. The technique anyway ...

Rules fulfilled ?!

Ich muss vielleicht sehen, ob ich einen Besuch arrangieren kann, wenn wir während des Oktoberfestes in Deutschland sind!

3 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

Ich muss vielleicht sehen, ob ich einen Besuch arrangieren kann, wenn wir während des Oktoberfestes in Deutschland sind!

Kein Problem, im Oktober bin ich voraussichtlich zu Hause. Sei herzlich willkommen !
No problem, in October I am most likely at home. Be welcome !

9 minutes ago, PT81Jan said:

Kein Problem, im Oktober bin ich voraussichtlich zu Hause. Sei herzlich willkommen !
No problem, in October I am most likely at home. Be welcome !

I'll see if my friend I am travelling with is up to a visit.  he might be interested in the zeppelin history of your city.

7 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

I was gonna ask you that, Ed...! Wouldn't you remember if it was you?????....

"...was delivered by an old wrinkled man, not the nice post office girl."....

lol, well that describes about 98% of the guys posting on this site. :D

48D 

You'd think so.... turns out it wasn't me and there is another guy here in town with a plymouth truck!

• Haha 1

I don't know Paul.....the pictures you post....I wanna call your truck "Waldo" from now on...lol

48D

This morning I picked up a stash of parts, enough to build two VW's, and one body, and one pan. I paid $80.00 for everything.  From these I will teach my grandson how to build his own school car using the kit car frame I spent $100 on including fuel to get it, and I will build a dune buggy. 

Note, truck in use! 

IMG_3295.JPG

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

I started working on the adapter to mount my own 16" tires...the dimbulbs at the local tire stores do not want to mess with tube tires, so I reckon I'll have to do this myself starting with the Ken-Tool tire changer that I use to mount lawnmower tires...it has worked well for years, and has a more heavy duty construction than anything HF peddles...

http://www.kentool.com/index.php/products/manual-tire-changers/floor-mount-detail

• Like 1

I shared a bit of history last summer – Pilot-House Friends thread that Merle initiated.  See that if you’re interested. 

Following a brief burst of life after 35 years of sitting, the truck has been laid up since early Nov ’17 with rear brake cylinder leak.  (Hindsight is clear: all cylinders should have been replaced right from the get-go.  Mistake one was not doing that.  Mistake two was not replacing rears when fronts were done.  Lesson learned). 

A few other things needed attention so I spent the winter addressing those.  I’m close to ready for a reveal and will share more soon.

Merle stopped by this morning to provide a bit of education and share his talents (and tools).  Cylinders replaced in short order – goes quick when you know what you’re doing.  Will be getting shoes relined and drums cleaned up this week.   I’m anxious to get the truck back on the road.  Several projects are hanging that need the truck and I want to drive it again!!!!!!

18-6-2_Merle_Rear Brakes.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First let me say Pflaming you are doing your grandson a tremendous service!  I speak from experience as my father asked me when I was 14 if I wanted a car when I was 16 and of course I said yes. He said great, there is a pile of parts to make a 1960 VW bug over there - get to work!  I learned a lot and all these years later still love tinkering with cars and rebuilding them.

Today on my truck I worked on the brakes and installed my new spark plug ever drys along with finishing up my tie rod and drag link.  Another step closer...

Brake drum front passenger side 01.gif

Brakes front drivers side.gif

Brakes rear backing plate drivers side.gif

Spark plug everdrys.gif

Tie rod and drag link cleaned and painted.gif

• Like 5

I replaced the fuel pump in the old Fargo today. The truck was idling nicely when I took this photo.

Fargo.JPG

Edited by T120
  • Like 3

I'm in a holding pattern on mine due to still waiting on the engine to come back from the machine shop. It was a good afternoon to finish up a few little things I've been avoiding. The biggest thing was getting the carburetors back together since the replacement emulsion tubes came in the mail this morning (crushed the old ones by over tightening--lesson learned). Aside from that, I put another coat of paint on the new brake calipers, got the bushings out of the brake pedal and the clutch fork mount, and replaced the stock three slot castle nuts on the front end with new 6 slot castle nuts from RockAuto.

image.png.825c7e8c977990d18b67e87027944221.png

image.png.3af2dcf36c0d32e537570e7ea55c8e00.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kris Bolstad said:

I shared a bit of history last summer – Pilot-House Friends thread that Merle initiated.  See that if you’re interested. 

Following a brief burst of life after 35 years of sitting, the truck has been laid up since early Nov ’17 with rear brake cylinder leak.  (Hindsight is clear: all cylinders should have been replaced right from the get-go.  Mistake one was not doing that.  Mistake two was not replacing rears when fronts were done.  Lesson learned). 

A few other things needed attention so I spent the winter addressing those.  I’m close to ready for a reveal and will share more soon.

Merle stopped by this morning to provide a bit of education and share his talents (and tools).  Cylinders replaced in short order – goes quick when you know what you’re doing.  Will be getting shoes relined and drums cleaned up this week.   I’m anxious to get the truck back on the road.  Several projects are hanging that need the truck and I want to drive it again!!!!!!

Not sure if I should applaud Merle for helping or give him crap that it's work on your truck day not work on someone else's truck day....

• Haha 2

two years in a row I failed  to work on my truck :huh:........yesterday, I had the day off and practiced tearing apart the parts transmission (practicing for the B4D) 

practice.jpg.1e14b7f3bcafee9b2ddc878ba0967f95.jpg1760057131_practice(1).jpg.fe1d27d576690e39ca8b6110b6b861bb.jpg

I really didn't do much today on mine........... put on the lower door pans on "Rob"

floor.jpg.8676c5df4603fd50bd59572a4e82c29a.jpg

I am so lazy!    (Think i'll take tomorrow off :)

• Like 2