Dodge Woodies

I am trying to determine just how many Pilothouse Woody wagons remain.  I am primarily interested in a count of those built by Campbell Body Works aka Mid State ).  The company was located in Waterloo, New York, and built wood bodies from sometime in the 30's up until at least 1950.  The used multiple makes of chassis, but I am interested in the Pilothouse Dodges.  

Mine is on a 1949 B1B 108  1/2 ton chassis.  

I have seen pictures of several on the internet, and this forum, but can never get a good count of how many still survive.  Several of the ones I have seen were built by Cantrell.  There are several differences in the ones built by Campbell and Cantrell.   The Cantrell units are four doors, while the 1/2 ton Campell units have 3 (a driver's door, and two doors on the right.  The tailgate on the Cantrell cars is a good bit taller, which results in about a 4" narrower rear window.  Also the Campbell cars have the gas filler externally, with the gas cap located in the center of the panel behind the drivers door.  That is where the rear door is on the Cantrell cars, and I was told the gas filler is beneath the drivers seat.  

Not sure about Cantrell, but I know that Campbell built units using everything from 1/2 ton to full size "school bus" units, probably on a 1 ton chassis. 

If you know of one of these units please post the information and a picture if you have one.  I am just curious how many are left, and how many are still in operation. 

I have attached pictures of mine.  When Dad bought it new in 1949, and as it appears today.  It is a Campbell unit.  (they may have been called Highlanders, but I am not sure.) 

Mike  

fullsizeoutput_1e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d2f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d2d.jpeg

• Like 3

The fellow who did my paint had one in his shop about 15 years ago.  He had done the chassis and metal body pieces.  Last I saw it it was ready to go out for the wood work at another shop. If I recall it had the three core set up and had full width bench seat in front, then a bench for two and folding jump seat as a second and a rear bench for three, and 2 jump seats on the back of the second row bench facing the rear with a small stowage area behind the third seat.  So maybe 10 seats plus the driver.  If memory serves the rear had doors like a delivery body as one had a ladder to access the roof rack.  I also remember Budd style HD wheels no duals on the rear though.  

It was liveried up with some Camp's name in the Adirondacks.  Dont remember if it was a Great Camp turned resort our some Camp "ldowannabehere" for kids. Metal body was black.roof was some type of composition rubber canvass chicken wire and lots of wooden bows.  Maybe a search of camp pictures on the net might show something.  Probably used to transport campers from train to camp and on tours.

In the article, mine would appear to be close to what they call "the club".   Only that looks like it might be on a slightly longer wheelbase.  My car originally had a full bench driver's seat, then a 2 person seat, with a walk through to the rear, on the right side, next to the door, and then another 3 person bench seat, and behind that just a large storage area.  Dad bought, and upon getting it home, removed the 2 person seat and moved the rear seat forward.  This provided seating for dad, mom, and my baby brother in the front, and myself and my other 2 brothers in the rear.  And the load area was used for delivery of newspapers.   At some point the 3 person seat "disappeared", and by the time I got it, the front seat no longer had the factory frame.