Are ALL 49-52 Dodge fenders alike?

Grdpa's 50 Dodge

I have looked at Googled pics, searched my parts books, searched my shop Manuel and still confused whether ALL rear fenders  from 49-52 are alike?  Is there a difference between 2 doors and four doors? Different models the same?

I I have my original fender on the car with a sharp kink below the taillight where it is very rounded(on a 2 dr.)  A parts  4 dr car with a sideswipe hickey down half its length.  OR a member here offering to sell me a pretty straight fender with minor dents and dings to repair.

Me being a body repair first timer is it easier to straighten things with the fender OFF, and try to get it under a press, or lay it on a flat surface and tap from back side.  Thinking of heating the original fender cherry red to make sharp kink shrink. OR do I buy  the dingy fender and fill the dings or tap them  out.  (I did buy a basic kit with body hammer and dollies)  Which is easiest route?

49 fenders are different ,  50 to 52  may have some minor variations as to where the fender trim is mounted.

Advice for beginning body repairmen.  Study how the damage occurred and work back from where the damage ended toward the initial point of impact.

It is often easier if the fender is still on the car to pull with a come-along to unfold damage.   Randomly beating on damage will just result in more damage.

Another analogy when dealing with flat panels  (or panels which should be flat)   is to compare with the actions used  in  chasing wrinkles out of a bed sheet.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grdpa's 50 Dodge said:

I have looked at Googled pics, searched my parts books, searched my shop Manuel and still confused whether ALL rear fenders  from 49-52 are alike?  Is there a difference between 2 doors and four doors? Different models the same?

I I have my original fender on the car with a sharp kink below the taillight where it is very rounded(on a 2 dr.)  A parts  4 dr car with a sideswipe hickey down half its length.  OR a member here offering to sell me a pretty straight fender with minor dents and dings to repair.

Me being a body repair first timer is it easier to straighten things with the fender OFF, and try to get it under a press, or lay it on a flat surface and tap from back side.  Thinking of heating the original fender cherry red to make sharp kink shrink. OR do I buy  the dingy fender and fill the dings or tap them  out.  (I did buy a basic kit with body hammer and dollies)  Which is easiest route?

If you wish to do good body work you should be more concerned with..... what is the way I can get the best results....not which is the easiest. Usuallay the easiest is the cheesiest....lol.

Edited by Frank Elder

Okay, yes I mis -spoke.  I AM interested in doing the very best job I can.  A fender all beat to crap and dimpled from hammer tracks is not what I want, NO WAY.  I want it like the best of the best would do it.  A sniff of bondo if that.

Has anyone ever heard of NOS rear fenders available?

• Thanks 1

Use your hammer and dollies. Don't heat the metal at all, let alone cherry red unless you are trying to shrink it. Best to support the low spots with a dolly and tap the highs down gently.  Metal has a memory, it wants to go back where it belongs. If you do have some stretching,  it's ok to heat it then quench it with a wet rag.