50 230 flathead fuel pump woes

Dodgy49

I am painfully close to getting a basket case 49 Coronet back in running shape, but I am having trouble with fuel delivery. The fuel pump isn’t working. I have the original pump with a glass bowl on the bottom from the 50 donor, the original from the 49, and a spare of unknown age. None draw fuel. I am running a short line (2ft) from the pump inlet to a clear container with fuel then to the carb. I have the shop manual and tried the suction tests but they seem inconclusive. 

Is there a pruning sequence? Some have suggested an electric fuel pump but I’d rather not. 

Any and all suggestions welcomed. 

Out of curiosity, I would take them apart and look at the membranes. If these are original pumps from 50s, all chances are that rubber membranes deteriorated - too stretched out or torn. A new membrane can be cut out of proper material. Now they make stuff compatible with ethanol. Old membranes were not designed for ethanol.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input. 

installed the new pump, fixed a leak or two. Runs pretty well. 

I had lot of “advise” to add/change to an electric pump. I hope to upgrade to 12 volt once it’s running , I feel that would have added another layer of unnecessary complexity. 

• Like 1