Where to buy a Desoto s11 starter

tom61

6 minutes ago, tom61 said:

Does anyone know where I might find a remanufactured starter for an S11 Desoto?

Autop lite number is:

MAW 4025

Thanks guys

Why not take your old one to a local starter and alternator repair shop and have them fix it? The money stays local,and you make a contact.

• Like 1

are you sure it is the starter and maybe not the selinoid on top of the starter housing.  Also are you a member of the National desoto Club. i would suggest that you become a member becasue now you are able to get you needs to the 1946-48 club members and someone might have one to sell.  I am a member with a 39 desoto.

I have alot of autolite information and also an autolite catalog on CD if you want the information.

rich hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

4 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

are you sure it is the starter and maybe not the selinoid on top of the starter housing.  Also are you a member of the National desoto Club. i would suggest that you become a member becasue now you are able to get you needs to the 1946-48 club members and someone might have one to sell.  I am a member with a 39 desoto.

I have alot of autolite information and also an autolite catalog on CD if you want the information.

rich hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Rich its a 46-48, pretty sure the solenoid is on the inner fender......not the starter.

SI_SS567_Fro.jpg

MAW 4025 is for 1946-48 deSoto S11 with out Fluid Drive.

The part number I got is straight from the red tab on the starter itself. The Solenoid is mounted piggy back on the starter.

The s11 Desoto I have does have fluid drive.

I some time ago I had opened up the starter and the solenoid and brushes were in good condition. Im thinking it's the coils that have shorted out somewhere.

Here in Canada, the quote I got for repairing an old 6volt generator cost more than buying a rebuilt one.

For my 63 Rambler, I had been able to buy a new starter from rockauto and carid, but unfortunately they don't have the starter for the Desoto......

Thanks once again for all your inputs.

Lets see a picture of your starter to help us help you.

Is it a  square four terminal starter solenoid type?

if it is they are very difficult to find and very costly.

The round solenoids on top of the starter are much more common.

DeSoto used both types....square type solenoid starters a bit more powerful than the round solenoid type up through 1950.

C49 Starter Relay Solenoid.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks,I had never even heard of a square solenoid before your post.

And more starter application Data out of the factory Autolite book...

S11 DeSoto Starter 1946-48.JPG

Solenoid 1946-48 Chrysler and some DeSoto.JPG

Autolite S11 DeSoto Starter Components.JPG

3 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

I have one like it on my 39 Chrysler Royal

The very first car I ever bought was a 38 Royal 4dr sedan. Paid 20 bucks for it. 1 woman owner car and her nephew inherited it when she died. The engine was stuck,but it wasn't missing a single thing,no dents,and the upholstery was perfect. I was 13 or 14. A older cousin helped me unstick it and get it running,and other than a very loose front end,it was in excellent mechanical condition with faded paint and no rust out or dents. My plan was to work summers and use my money to make it reliable and have a car to drive when I was 16

Somebody stopped by one day while I was at school and offered my father $250 for it,so he sold it and kept the money. "It's my yard,and everything in it is mine." was his excuse.

It has been several years since I was 13 or 14,and I can't remember anything about the starter.

• Sad 2

you are in Canada, but where?  I have a number of used starters, most of which are easily brought back to life.

Shipping, however is very costly.  ( I am on Vancouver Island )

On 5/29/2018 at 12:30 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Lets see a picture of your starter to help us help you.

Is it a  square four terminal starter solenoid type?

if it is they are very difficult to find and very costly.

The round solenoids on top of the starter are much more common.

DeSoto used both types....square type solenoid starters a bit more powerful than the round solenoid type up through 1950.

yeah, the one on my Desoto is indeed a square type solenoid. I know the solenoid is in good condition, I'm pretty certain it is the coils that have worn out.

I have no problem using a starter with a round solenoid.

So dodgeb4ya, It must be that the MAX-4050 which you kindly highlighted on your picture is the round type starter?

dPollo, I am in Oshawa, Ontario.

Thanks once again everyone for your comments and inputs.

On 5/29/2018 at 10:52 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

And more starter application Data out of the factory Autolite book...

S11 DeSoto Starter 1946-48.JPG

Solenoid 1946-48 Chrysler and some DeSoto.JPG

Autolite S11 DeSoto Starter Components.JPG

When I bought the De Soto, it also came with a starter push button, although it wasn't installed on the instrument panel.

Would you be able to tell me the starting motor number for the round type starter and also the push button starter?

The SS4705 Selenoid is becoming as rare as hen's teeth. I am assuming you have the MAX4050 Starter.

I know of a man here in N.C. (Generator Starter repairman - retired) that tested my extra starter. Last year I was lucky and still able to obtain and restore a MAX4050 should I ever need one for my spare parts. It still proved to be around $290 to do this, me doing all the work - replacing brushes, bushings, selenoid etc. I started with an ebay starter around $125 the rebuild kit from Bernbaum $40- ish a new SS4705 Selenoid from a man in Georgia around $125. Mind you others wanted $200 for that Selenoid ( out in California).

One like him should you remove it from the car can ascertain whether it is faulty in the actual Starter or the Selenoid. Then finally test it and check the proper Pinion Clearance which if memory serves me correctly it will be 1/16". Good Luck. I tried my friends and members of the Chrysler Club, whom all seem to be sitting on any decent spare starter parts available. I was truly fortunate enough to pull it together and restore one. I am not at will to part with it any time soon. The big Part Yards out west are your best bet. Can someone chime in with their names? D.V.A.P. and some to the North in Wisconsin, or Minnessota.  

Tom

10 hours ago, Tom Skinner said:

The SS4705 Selenoid is becoming as rare as hen's teeth. I am assuming you have the MAX4050 Starter.

I know of a man here in N.C. (Generator Starter repairman - retired) that tested my extra starter. Last year I was lucky and still able to obtain and restore a MAX4050 should I ever need one for my spare parts. It still proved to be around $290 to do this, me doing all the work - replacing brushes, bushings, selenoid etc. I started with an ebay starter around $125 the rebuild kit from Bernbaum $40- ish a new SS4705 Selenoid from a man in Georgia around $125. Mind you others wanted $200 for that Selenoid ( out in California).

One like him should you remove it from the car can ascertain whether it is faulty in the actual Starter or the Selenoid. Then finally test it and check the proper Pinion Clearance which if memory serves me correctly it will be 1/16". Good Luck. I tried my friends and members of the Chrysler Club, whom all seem to be sitting on any decent spare starter parts available. I was truly fortunate enough to pull it together and restore one. I am not at will to part with it any time soon. The big Part Yards out west are your best bet. Can someone chime in with their names? D.V.A.P. and some to the North in Wisconsin, or Minnessota.  

Tom

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply.

The part number on my stgarter is MAW 4025, however this may not be the original starter. The one I currently have is the square solenoid type, that doesn't require a push button. I think it may not be the original because there is a push button on the dash.

Anyway, I would be happy with a manual type starter.

Thanks for recomending Bernabaum, I will check it

Ok the correct stater motor for the 1946-48 Desoto is an Autolite MAw-4025  and according to my Autolite Stater controls printout the correct Selinoid Switch is an Autiolite SS-4707  not the 4705 this was used in 1942 on fluid drive.  The SS-4707 was used from 1946-thru 1950 and also used on starter MCH-6102 and MAW 4055.  I have the autolite document that shows the details and the settings for adjustements.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

• 9 months later...

Hey Guys. It's been a while. I was wondering, does anyone have interchange part numbers for these starters?

I was hoping to look for a manual/foot type starter that is compatible with the S11 Desoto as a back up/replacement starter.

I know the Desoto s8 used a manual type starter, but where there any others that are compatible?

The Hollander has a few starters that interchange. For instance Dodge pass. 35-48, Dodge truck 42-47 WD20-21, Plymouth 38-42. And some Chrysler and Desoto years. When I bought my WD21 it had a chrysler starter on it for the Spitfire 251 engine. I robbed a starter off a 47 WH Dodge 2 ton. I don't have a way to send you a picture. So, how did you fix your's?

Edited by 9 foot box