oil filter & lead additive question?

Dbolter

Hello, Looking for a source or part number for an oil filter for my '38 chrysler royal, canister type The motor is a 241.5 parts store didn't have a listing, but I'm used to that.

Also wondering if I should be running a lead additive in the fuel?  I never have in any of my other classics and they have been fine, just wondering what you guys are doing with your old flat 6's....

Thanks ~Dbolt

The post war flathead Mopars had hardened valve seats and do not need lead additive.  I am not sure if this is the same for pre-war cars, but I suspect that it is.  Perhaps other forum members can coroberate this.

If you have the drop in stylee filter then i use a napa 1010 gold filter inmy 39 Desoto.  Take out the old filter and measure the height and diameter and then go on the NAPA webpage and find one to fit.  Yes the older prewar car did have hardened value seats.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

6 hours ago, busycoupe said:

The post war flathead Mopars had hardened valve seats and do not need lead additive.  I am not sure if this is the same for pre-war cars, but I suspect that it is.  Perhaps other forum members can coroberate this.

4 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

. . .  Yes the older prewar car did have hardened value seats.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Near as I can tell, first year for hardened exhaust valves on Plymouth was 1933. I'm pretty sure the entire stable of Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge and Plymouth had it by then.