East coast vacation

Brent B3B

Julie an I have a "milestone" anniversary coming up this year (late September/ early October) we have planned a trip and booked rooms. We are going to SC to see/ drive the Blue Ridge Mountains and end up in DC for a few days. Any "must see" points along the route worth checking out? I know I want to see the National Air Museum but other than that...... hate to get back and learn we "should of.... " 

Neither of us care for shopping, (we are not very good at it ?)

Do not miss the Vietnam memorial! I've been there twice, a very different place, changes your mind on things. Strongly consider going to the monuments at night, much more impressive all lit up against a black sky. You won't be alone but not crowded then. And then there is the national cemetery and the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Enjoy, it is a little more impressive than Tims BBQ but not by much. 

• Thanks 1

Any of the mall you can see.. from Washington memorial to Lincoln memorial. As much of the Smithsonian buildings you have time for. There is a great museum in the Library of Congress. The holocost museum. Mount Vernon

the blue ridge parkway, Shenandoah valley a must. Stop and walk a mile of the Appalachian Trail.

Manassas/ Bull Run Battlefield

Monticello

Have fun!

• Like 1

Since it appears you may like the air & space stuff - If you have time do the Udvar-Hazy (sp?) annex of the National Air & Space Museum, it's the complex out by Dulles Airport.  You can either go there on your own, or they have shuttles that run from the museum on the National Mall.  Much bigger than the main museum and mostly aircraft.  They have airplanes there you've only heard of, and many you haven't.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

Might not be your thing but Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley, N.C. would be a good stop.

Been there many times, really awesome if you have any interest in vintage bikes.

Personally I really like Hilton Head when it comes to a beech. 

Charleston is my favorite vacation spot, lots of history, close to the beech, Savannah and Hilton Head are close also.

Depending when  you are traveling the AACA National meet in Hershey Pa should be on gear head bucket list. Usually happens over Columbus Day weekend.  Skyline Drive in Virginia is a good route to include in the fall also.  Finger Lakes region of NY is full of wineries and Bed and Breakfast places and older Inns.  The Glen Curtis's museum n Hammondsport NY is a good stop for Aviation, motorcycle, old racing boats. In the area the Corning Museum of Glass, and the Remington Museum are also good stops.  Watkins Glen race track might have events also.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Since it appears you may like the air & space stuff - If you have time do the Udvar-Hazy (sp?) annex of the National Air & Space Museum, it's the complex out by Dulles Airport.  You can either go there on your own, or they have shuttles that run from the museum on the National Mall.  Much bigger than the main museum and mostly aircraft.  They have airplanes there you've only heard of, and many you haven't.

My uncle flew a F-84 in "Korea".... he learned to fly in a P-51. Oregon has a P-51 but he said he only place he knew having the F-84 was in the National.... But it sounds like Udvar-Hazy  is a must see. Thanks for the suggestion Dan and the link Tom!

21 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

Might not be your thing but Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley, N.C. would be a good stop.

I”be been wanting to go there for a long time, but haven’t made it yet. And now I don’t get down that way as much as I used to... 

Brent, if you are cruising the Blue Ridge Parkway you’ll be going right through Asheville, NC. Stop and see the Biltmore Mansion. It’s an amazing estate to see. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, greg g said:

Depending when  you are traveling the AACA National meet in Hershey Pa should be on gear head bucket list. Usually happens over Columbus Day weekend.  Skyline Drive in Virginia is a good route to include in the fall also.  Finger Lakes region of NY is full of wineries and Bed and Breakfast places and older Inns.  The Glen Curtis's museum n Hammondsport NY is a good stop for Aviation, motorcycle, old racing boats. In the area the Corning Museum of Glass, and the Remington Museum are also good stops.  Watkins Glen race track might have events also.

Bummer our timing will be short of the AACA. Skyline drive sounds like it will be right in our path. Thanks Greg! 

Wow, sounds like there is more to NY than wall st and time square LOL, I am sure this will get our juices flowing for a return trip sometime. So much to see, so little time.... 

1 minute ago, Merle Coggins said:

I”be been wanting to go there for a long time, but haven’t made it yet. And now I don’t get down that way as much as I used to... 

Brent, if you are cruising the Blue Ridge Parkway you’ll be going right through Asheville, NC. Stop and see the Biltmore Mansion. It’s an amazing estate to see. 

Thanks Merle, will do.... seems like Asheville is one of our first stays.... have you made this trip before? 

• 3 months later...

Well, 

we are on our vacation right now and I won't bore you guys with the little details, but we find it humorous and thought I would share.

we booked this trip back in February.... (cause we both read somewhere, the colors start around this time thru October and it needs to be booked as it can get very crowded)

the scenery is spectacular and probably even more so if there was ANY color.. lol

IMG_0822.JPG.aa5eaa1c813655c42d9d6dd7e3ef954d.JPG

And to to top it off today we drove from "Blowing Rock NC" to "Roanoke VA" approx 175 miles in the FOG with visibility like this

IMG_0828.JPG.0fe5760a6239bb6a4a17f1a18357b1de.JPG

oh well, can't control the weather but at least it isn't crowded and I do love the company   ?

Edited by Brent B3B
Double images

5 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

HEY......green is a color......LOL

It sure is.... and plenty of that color back home. 

That is what partially makes it so funny to us..... 2700 miles later

5 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I certainly could imagine the fall colors, sorry it did not work out.

Thanks LC, we figure it's a good excuse to come back some year.

And all in all....still beats being at work ?

even though the colors are not in season at this time, the Blue ridge Mountains are always a sight to see any time of the year.  SC Piedmont section is one of my go-to places in the south.....Table Rock State Park being my favorite places to camp and of course is central to a few other sites nearby worth a look see.  SC 11, the Cherokee foothill trails is a nice drive.   115 miles from GA state line through to NC state line.....number of points of interest along the way.  No matter what road or where you end up...you should be able to have a good time...do enjoy your trip.

We're just starting to get fall colors in Vermont right now. It usually peaks around the first week of October, so it appears to be late this year.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Trees are just starting to turn around here too. I would also agree that it seems a bit late this year. Some were starting to drop leaves a month ago due to the dry weather, but since then we've had a lot of rain and they perked back up.

Edit: I looked back through some pictures from when I did a fall color run with my truck. That was Oct 1, 2011, according to the date stamp on the image file. As can be seen in this picture, some trees were full color, some were bare, and some are still green.

I wouldn't expect any fall color down in the Carolina's until late October.

PA083048.JPG.7b49b686809fc167fb8a7a804fd99d94.JPG

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Thanks 1

often the area in SC has a very slow color change......the hard frost that usually triggers the change comes later in the year and the natural slow process makes this less vibrant...same here in Ga...right now due to the dry spell we are seeing leaves falling more to stress than fall temps.  The pecan trees are losing their leaves and they are the first tree to loose their leaves and the last one to put on leaves in spring...our temps are still in the 90's however....people begging for cooler weather only to bitch they want it warmer about a month into our mild winter...as for me...always something to do..dress for the occasion. 

• Haha 1

Here in Wilmington, and I assume throughout most of S E North Carolina, hurricane Florence a couple of weeks ago blew through, and blew over half the leaves off the trees, along w/branches, and in fact, thousands of trees, many of which were over 100 years old. I don't expect much here in the way of Fall colors; so many trees are mangled, with hanging broken branches, and mostly missing leaves. However, for those that did manage to remain, because of the dryer summer, and the hotter weather so far, any leaves that remain will likely not turn until later in October. ?

• Like 1

I tried to find online if any of the SC Piedmont region state parks suffered any damage.....I often make a fall run there myself and was curious as to damages...could not find any articles on the effects of the storm.  Hurricane Hugo is truly my only close encounter of the first kind with a Hurricane the eye was dead calm and took an hour to pass over my house before the back side of the storm pushed through...I believe my job next couple months was more in tune to a lumberjack than an electronics tech or data analyst which was my reserve's job title.  The mountain regions seem to still be getting ample rainfall.....we dry as a bone here...

We're just about on schedule in northern Maine.  Couple nights below freezing last week, hasn't been over 60 the past two.  First hints of fall here are in late August with a leaf here, a branch there.