Restaurant mood music

pflaming

I kindly informed A long time favorite Italian restaurant that I missed the Italian background music of years ago and asked why they no longer play it.  Their response. They have to pay royalty fees per song, per use. Fair to the artist, but a loss to the public. Seems Frank shouldn't mind. .,. .or need the income.

Welcome to the world of intellectual property laws. Near as I can tell the new rule is that Mickey Mouse rules: As long as Disney (and other big media companies) can lobby to keep anything written, drawn, sung, etc. after Mickey Mouse was created from becoming public domain they will.

On 5/26/2018 at 8:25 PM, pflaming said:

I kindly informed A long time favorite Italian restaurant that I missed the Italian background music of years ago and asked why they no longer play it.  Their response. They have to pay royalty fees per song, per use. Fair to the artist, but a loss to the public. Seems Frank shouldn't mind. .,. .or need the incliome.

Bars, clubs, etc. pay a monthly fee to BMI for bands that play covers, background music, etc. We rarely go out anymore, maybe a couple of times a year; and the restaurants I've been in play satellite radio. My assumption is that the radio company pays BMI so the restaurant is a proxy by paying for the satellite service.

Several years ago my son played drums in a blues band with a bass player who'd previously played and recorded with a bunch of big names, had gold records, played on the Tonight show with Johnny Carson; real rock-star stuff. He received royalties as a sideman but was far from rich and died almost broke. Kudos to Jimmie Vaughan for helping him out in his last years. RIP Prez!!

Edited by MackTheFinger

• 2 weeks later...

Sign up for Spotify. Get the app on your phone. The massive world of music it at your finger tips. You pay no royalty fees. You pay Spotify a fair monthy fee. They pay the artists an amount every time their song get played by anyone. So simple. The vault of music is massive. It's fun and addictive building your own set lists and listening to them. I have yet to have a problem finding any song I can think of.