rear window wiper??

John Reddie

I've noticed that several cars back in the late '40's and early '50's came equipped with a window wiper on the back window, Pontiac fastbacks, bathtub Nash's to name two. Now these cars to my knowledge had vacuum windshield wipers so I am curious as to the rear wiper. It doesn't seem to make sense that the manufacturer would have vacuum wipers up front and electric powered ones on the rear and if the rear wipers were vacuum powered, that would be one long hose running to power them. Thanks for any info on this subject.

John R

Kaiser Frazer used vacuum.  Friends father had a Kaiser Dragon with just about every conceivable option.  Rear wiper was vacuum on a separate circuit than windshield.  It had the two chamber fuel pump for extra vacuum.  Neighbors 42 Pontiac had one also, their advertising mention vacuum operation.

My father bought a new 46 Chevrolet sedan. It had back up lights,, under the passenger seat heater, and rear window wiper. I do not believe the 46 chevys had electric wipers.