Front leaf springs

I have dropped my front axle on my '55 Dodge as I continue to get the frame ready for blasting, priming and painting. The shackles were shot. I ordered new front and rear shackles for the both sides of the front leaf spring. The front comes with new bushings which I will press out and press in the new ones. The rear is a problem though. I also had to remove the shackle holder on the rear of the front spring (both sides) in order to clean them up. They cleaned up great and are ready to go. The leaf spring, however is another issue. I have cleaned it completely up and it measures right at 7/8" ID and the new shackle has an almost exactly the same OD measurement (which is externally threaded). The leaf itself (both sides) has something that looks like it may have been threaded at one time. I can't tell for sure. It may just be wear marks from the old shackle. I can't find any type of print or schematic that says whether or not the leaf is supposed to be threaded or not. I find it hard to believe the leaf just rides on the shackle, or is it supposed to? I do not mind buying a new top leaf if necessary, just not sure where to get one (if necessary). Any thoughts?

Sounds like your vehicle was equipped with "Silent U" spring shackles. Basically a threaded bushing that threads both the shackle and the eye of the spring leaf together. You should be able to find information about installation and removal searching these forums. And a quick web search tells me that Rare Parts makes them for at least a number of years of models.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:57 PM, TodFitch said:

Sounds like your vehicle was equipped with "Silent U" spring shackles. Basically a threaded bushing that threads both the shackle and the eye of the spring leaf together. You should be able to find information about installation and removal searching these forums. And a quick web search tells me that Rare Parts makes them for at least a number of years of models.

Thank you for the suggestion (Rare Parts). I just tried their website and it seems like they are re-doing it. I will try calling them on Tuesday.

I got my "Silent U" shackles from DCM classics and am very happy with them.  The installation went well - just make sure you put a good coat of grease on them before installing along with using the zerk fitting after installation.

My leaf springs were not threaded either and you will see on new shackles the outside threads are not that big - seems they are there to just help keep the shackle firmly in the spring.

It does take some muscle to put this all together - a long breaker bar helps.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:57 PM, TodFitch said:

This sounds like you are describing the front of the front leaf spring (there is a threading bushing that gets pressed in). My question is with the rear of the front leaf spring.

21 hours ago, tanda62 said:

I got my "Silent U" shackles from DCM classics and am very happy with them.  The installation went well - just make sure you put a good coat of grease on them before installing along with using the zerk fitting after installation.

My leaf springs were not threaded either and you will see on new shackles the outside threads are not that big - seems they are there to just help keep the shackle firmly in the spring.

It does take some muscle to put this all together - a long breaker bar helps.

Thank you so much. I was hoping to hear from someone that had the same situation. It just did not make sense to me that the leaf spring is not threaded and the shackle is. Again, thank you very much.