1949 Plymouth Business Coupe

DocHemi

I guess this is my introduction to the forum. I recently purchased this 1949 business coupe. It was built in the 80s-90s I believe. It has a Chevrolet :( running gear (believe the front clip is from a 74 Nova). The plus is that it has power steering, power front disc brakes, and a turbo 350 transmission. It gets a lot of attention. Probably due to the color. The previous owners used RTV anywhere that leaked so I spent a weekend digging it out around the cowl vent. I hope I replaced the vent gasket correctly. Getting the 4 screws back in under the dash was not fun. Added bonus was while under there I somehow broke the brittle plastic oil pressure line to the gauge and didn't notice. I then moved the car in the dark. Next day I find there's oil all over the carpet. I don't think it's ever going to come out. Don't have door keys and I guess that's the reason the trunk lock has been drilled out. Would it be easier to have a key made for by a locksmith or find a complete set? I do hate that the steering wheel isn't original but unless I can find an adapter I'm stuck with it as is. Was there any kind of sill plate? My next step is to get a Newport wiper motor and some arms so I can drive it without worry of rain. Not sure whether I want to get the intermittent option or not. I'm afraid I'm going to have to rewire the car. I don't have the short adapter and knob for the cowl vent. I'm going to look around and see if it's something I can make. I've seen some business coupes with trim around the base of the roof and along the fenders/quarters and some without. Were these options? A shop manual is also on my list to find. What years used the trunk lock like mine? There was a lock cylinder on eBay I just missed a few weeks ago. This is my first modified car and being a bit of purist it's a bit weird. 

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

• Like 1

As you can see there's nothing left of the original dash/gauges/switches. You can see the emergency brake lever in front of the seat.

photo%203.JPG

photo%204.JPG

• Like 1

I think they all have a belt moulding/trim. I've never seen one without it. The difference in the fender trim is deluxe or super deluxe. Mine is a bare bones deluxe, has trim only on the front fenders. 

Screenshot_20180525-121025.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DocHemi said:

I guess this is my introduction to the forum. I recently purchased this 1949 business coupe. It was built in the 80s-90s I believe. It has a Chevrolet :( running gear (believe the front clip is from a 74 Nova). The plus is that it has power steering, power front disc brakes, and a turbo 350 transmission. It gets a lot of attention. Probably due to the color. The previous owners used RTV anywhere that leaked so I spent a weekend digging it out around the cowl vent. I hope I replaced the vent gasket correctly. Getting the 4 screws back in under the dash was not fun. Added bonus was while under there I somehow broke the brittle plastic oil pressure line to the gauge and didn't notice. I then moved the car in the dark. Next day I find there's oil all over the carpet. I don't think it's ever going to come out. Don't have door keys and I guess that's the reason the trunk lock has been drilled out. Would it be easier to have a key made for by a locksmith or find a complete set? I do hate that the steering wheel isn't original but unless I can find an adapter I'm stuck with it as is. Was there any kind of sill plate? My next step is to get a Newport wiper motor and some arms so I can drive it without worry of rain. Not sure whether I want to get the intermittent option or not. I'm afraid I'm going to have to rewire the car. I don't have the short adapter and knob for the cowl vent. I'm going to look around and see if it's something I can make. I've seen some business coupes with trim around the base of the roof and along the fenders/quarters and some without. Were these options? A shop manual is also on my list to find. What years used the trunk lock like mine? There was a lock cylinder on eBay I just missed a few weeks ago. This is my first modified car and being a bit of purist it's a bit weird. 

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

The good news is that if you want an original dash,they aren't hard to find or very expensive. I 'm with ya on the dashes of these old cars being beautiful. I think the dashes and steering wheels are half the reason I am attracted to them.

7 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

The good news is that if you want an original dash,they aren't hard to find or very expensive. I 'm with ya on the dashes of these old cars being beautiful. I think the dashes and steering wheels are half the reason I am attracted to them.

I could not agree more!!

rsz_20160704_105837[1].jpg

rsz_20160704_105806[1].jpg

• Like 1

Seems that the 1949 Ply. DocHemi owns is the late 49 and the later dash pics by insaneradio is of the 1945-1949 early production models Special Deluxe.

I like both but the earlier dashes have a lot more style to them.

late 49 Ply. dash attached- Not mine.

index-1949 ply. dash.jpg