Brake and fuel line routing???

ebruns1

Well, here I am again after another dumb mistake!  When we pulled out the rotted brake and fuel lines under the car we forgot to take any photos since replacements were on order and expected delivery in a few days.  Unfortunately, you know what happens.  The Scarebird front disc kit was delayed 5 weeks and my buddy cracked both my rear drums trying to press out the stripped lug studs.  Now that we're ready to install the front brake kit we can't remember how to route the brake lines to the front wheels.  Same thing for the fuel supply line but I think we can figure that one out.  Anyone have a photo or diagram showing how the front brake lines attach to the brackets and where/how it crosses over to the opposite side and where the Y fitting where they meet is located? 

Always take pictures!  Lesson learned...

It seems like its one step forward two steps back with everything I do!

1 hour ago, ebruns1 said:

Well, here I am again after another dumb mistake!  When we pulled out the rotted brake and fuel lines under the car we forgot to take any photos since replacements were on order and expected delivery in a few days.  Unfortunately, you know what happens.  The Scarebird front disc kit was delayed 5 weeks and my buddy cracked both my rear drums trying to press out the stripped lug studs.  Now that we're ready to install the front brake kit we can't remember how to route the brake lines to the front wheels.  Same thing for the fuel supply line but I think we can figure that one out.  Anyone have a photo or diagram showing how the front brake lines attach to the brackets and where/how it crosses over to the opposite side and where the Y fitting where they meet is located? 

Always take pictures!  Lesson learned...

It seems like its one step forward two steps back with everything I do!

The brake line is obviously going to run along the drivers side of the chassis,and you can mount it anywhere that is convenient to you. Do yourself a favor and mount your disc-brake mastercylinder and booster,if you use a booster,before you even touch the brake lines.

The brake line can cross over to the passenger side under/inside,or even behind the crossmember where the rear of the engine/transmission crossmember is attached to the chassis. Inside the hollow is best because it is the most protected.

Use new brake hoses,too.

The gas line obviously runs along the passenger side of the car. I like to put a ethanol-proof gas filter to the line under the hood before it reaches the fuel pump,but that's just me.

Make sure you use rubber gas lines approved for use with ethanol gas anywhere you need a rubber fuel line

Do yourself a favor and use the new nickle-copper brake line for both lines. It won't rust inside or out,and you can even bend it with your hands without it kinking.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

First, I will assume this is a 48 Dodge.  

The fuel line runs from  the tank along the outside of the driver's side frame rail, crosses over the top just ahead of the firewall and runs on the inside of the frame where it crosses under the front of the engine.  It stops short of the fuel pump and on some models is terminated in a brass fitting fastened to the frame.  A hose then goes to the fuel pump.

The rear brake line exits the master cylinder ( or the Tee block for the brake light switch) and travels down the inside of the left frame rail where it is terminated at the hose bracket for the rear axle.    (on 49 to 52, the brake light switch is just ahead of this bracket)     The front brake line travels from the Tee block  ( or the MC 49-52)    and travels  along the top of the left hand frame rail where it is terminated by a  tee which serves the left front wheel.  From this tee, it  runs in front of the radiator support, still on top to the right front brake hose.    Provision must be made to prevent abrasion along parts of the inner fender and in the immediate vicinity of the front hoses.  Originally this was  a spring like steel cladding on the line itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dpollo said:

First, I will assume this is a 48 Dodge.  

The fuel line runs from  the tank along the outside of the driver's side frame rail, crosses over the top just ahead of the firewall and runs on the inside of the frame where it crosses under the front of the engine.  It stops short of the fuel pump and on some models is terminated in a brass fitting fastened to the frame.  A hose then goes to the fuel pump.

The rear brake line exits the master cylinder ( or the Tee block for the brake light switch) and travels down the inside of the left frame rail where it is terminated at the hose bracket for the rear axle.    (on 49 to 52, the brake light switch is just ahead of this bracket)     The front brake line travels from the Tee block  ( or the MC 49-52)    and travels  along the top of the left hand frame rail where it is terminated by a  tee which serves the left front wheel.  From this tee, it  runs in front of the radiator support, still on top to the right front brake hose.    Provision must be made to prevent abrasion along parts of the inner fender and in the immediate vicinity of the front hoses.  Originally this was  a spring like steel cladding on the line itself.

I stand corrected on the routing of the gas line.