Familiar territory

I took a camera video as I was driving the other day and the cool/scariest thing about the interior is watching the front universal joint spinning below your ankle thru the glass floor. I'll be sure not to forget that zerk fitting! I'll upload the video when I figure out the process on a Mac.

That exposed bare metal, the window and wood slat floor are very ingenious. The banjo steering wheel, the flowers, and the skirt on the steering post, are very nicely done. Great work. Love it. Seat covers, the jury is out on that.

It's titled a 47 and the welds holding the dash to the cab look factory but the truck lived a long existence well before I met it so I'm left wondering on its history. I have found orange paint traces in some welds so maybe a gov. truck? If it were a 46, one would think the dash was factory installed with new/old stock. I do prefer the full waterfall's deco appearance. Thanks for the positive comments.

15 hours ago, kendall said:

It's titled a 47 and the welds holding the dash to the cab look factory but the truck lived a long existence well before I met it so I'm left wondering on its history. I have found orange paint traces in some welds so maybe a gov. truck? If it were a 46, one would think the dash was factory installed with new/old stock. I do prefer the full waterfall's deco appearance. Thanks for the positive comments.

46 and 47 have the same dash. the one in your truck is 39-41

Just searched PowerWagon dasheboards from war production (43,44, & 45) thinking that the waterfall was continued up to1946 to give the 'factory n.o.s. theory some credence. But it looks like even the 43 'PW's have the flat panel below the short waterfall. Also if they were continually building dashboards during the war, they wouldn't have any prewar dashes to unload in the public's trucks. So Merle is probably correct,.............................Although I will NEVER admit I've fallen in love with a "FRANKENDODGE!"

I filled the many holes in the firewall so I can't inspect for differences in pre and postwar trucks but I'm wondering if there are differences in seat pedestals, hatch dimensions, bracket locations or other clues to decipher whether the cab is pre or postwar. I have the Shop manual for 47 and every corresponding piece of the truck matches the manual. Also the engine # says the 230 c.i.d.@102 h.p. is the motor that came with the truck new. Maybe just the dash is prewar. The welds sure look factory but then again, an ape with a cigarette welds better than me.I just inspected the dash welds again and they are not as good as I originally thought. Plus I found some welding flash not noticed before. Must be a prewar dash in a postwar cab.  

IMG_6236.jpg

the factory welds weren't the best. Remember these were just work trucks. Couple clues for you-what side of the truck is your serial # tag on? Do you have a hole in the floor to access the gas tank sending unit?