a gas tank story

about 6 months ago I pulled the bed of my 1951 b3b cleaned up the frame and installed a new gas tank from tanks inc with a new sending unit from them also. I tested the sending unit before installing in the tank all seemed good and the fit of the tank was perfect .  Later on I was haveing a problem with my truck running  when parked it ran great but when put in gear it would shut right down.  I checked fuel pressure and it was good. I pulled the fuel  line off and cranked the motor and got good flow. thought I might have an electric short some place tested all kinds of things. This is what was going on my fuel sender was stuck it showed just over a 1/4  of a tank there was just enough fuel in the tank when on level ground to run the truck but when put in gear the gas would go to the back of the tank and starve the motor it seems so easy to figure out when you know what is happening back then  not so . very cheap sending unit when i got it new and compared it to my old one the old one looked much better made I will be putting my old one back  in . When I fill the tank it still shows not full unless I hit a good bump which make the sender show the right level.   I soldered all my conections and used shrink tubeing I do not belive that this is a bad wireing job by me but I will check just in case. I am telling this story because of all the sending unit problems I have been reading.  Neil

Are any Chinese replacement senders any good? I doubt it.

it can get stuck in any location I would think some of these senders must work but not mine I drive with a full tank till I get around to put my other sender back in.  Neil

even in my modern I trust the cheap sending units as far as I can comfortable spit a wet rat....I note the mileage since last fill and go from that more than I do the gauge.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

even in my modern I trust the cheap sending units as far as I can comfortable spit a wet rat....I note the mileage since last fill and go from that more than I do the gauge.

ggdad, why waste a rat? They are excellent on the grill with the hair on. ?