1954 Starter Motor

kd1975

Hi All,

Does anyone know the original part number for the 12v Starter motor. Mine is the Australian version so may be different to the US model.

Mine has died so I'm on the lookout for a replacement or any suggestions to get the current one back up and running.

Thanks

In my 38 Coupe with a 36 or 37 engine, I am running a 12 volt MDF 6007 starter from a 1956 engine.      Before that I was running a 6 volt that was listed as from a 1954 model car.  

I believe the 57 and up starters are a little different that the 56 year.

2 hours ago, kd1975 said:

Hi All,

Does anyone know the original part number for the 12v Starter motor. Mine is the Australian version so may be different to the US model.

Mine has died so I'm on the lookout for a replacement or any suggestions to get the current one back up and running.

Thanks

Call around to all your local starter and generator/alternator rebuild shops and ask them what a starter rebuild will cost you. If your armature isn't bad,a rebuild is pretty cheap.

• Like 1

KD..........both the 46-53 and 54 Oz Service Manuals I have do not state any part numbers for the starter motor tho' they do have the various starter specs if thats any help......1953 was the 1st year for 12 volts if that helps..........BTW you DO know that 1954 here in Oz was the year that 3 different capacity engines were used.......228, 230 and 250, ie, 25", 23" and 25"  in length........although it appears that the same starter was employed.......andyd  

• Like 1

It's a pity you weren't here in Brisbane KD as I have a great Auto Electrician just around the corner from my place who is really good with old cars. I had him repair all of the electricals for my 53 truck recently, and it turned out that I had issues with the old starter motor. As luck would have it... it also turned out that I had a compatible spare starter motor in my shed anyway. He suggested that they used pretty much the same starters on all of the Oz Dodge vehicles around that era and that they were a Lucas branded M45. I have attached a couple of pics of the one which he fixed for my truck. I could call him and see if he has some reference numbers in his manuals for you if you don't have an 'old school' Auto Elec there in Adelaide somewhere. Do you have similar numbers stamped on your old starter motor?

IMG_2173.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG

Edited by Desotodav
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 8:35 AM, Desotodav said:

It's a pity you weren't here in Brisbane KD as I have a great Auto Electrician just around the corner from my place who is really good with old cars. I had him repair all of the electricals for my 53 truck recently, and it turned out that I had issues with the old starter motor. As luck would have it... it also turned out that I had a compatible spare starter motor in my shed anyway. He suggested that they used pretty much the same starters on all of the Oz Dodge vehicles around that era and that they were a Lucas branded M45. I have attached a couple of pics of the one which he fixed for my truck. I could call him and see if he has some reference numbers in his manuals for you if you don't have an 'old school' Auto Elec there in Adelaide somewhere. Do you have similar numbers stamped on your old starter motor?

IMG_2173.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG

Thanks Dave...... i pulled mine out and it's pretty much the same.

I'm not 100% sure what the issue is but it has the same sort of smell as the old scalectrix race car tracks - so I'm tipping it's the bushes.

starter.jpg.db37450d3fc56c5c44824b0aa9ba651e.jpg

Thanks for your reply mate - very helpful

starter 1.jpg