53 specific master cylinder questions

I have done many a search now about dual master cylinders and have yet to find one that will fit my 53 B4C but maybe one of you have. 

Here is the issue, there is a maximum of 6 inches of length available for mounting a master cylinder.  That would include any brackets needed to mount a two hole to the three on the bell housing and the cylinder itself. I have included a picture and you can see how the steering box limits the space.  I know that a 6.5 length will not work as I tried the Toyota Celia master cylinder and it will not fit even though it has the right triangle mount.

I know some people have put Jeep Cherokee master cylinders in but I cannot seem to find out how long they are, sometimes the internet just won't give up its secrets.  I would really like to use a dual chamber but right now it is looking like I may have to stick with the stock single chamber master cylinder.

Thanks for any help.

master cylinder space.gif

So after much research and asking of many people turns out there is not a dual chamber master cylinder that will fit my particular truck (1953 B4C 3/4 ton).   I am keeping the drum brakes all around so I will just get a new original single chamber master cylinder and run the brakes like its 1953 - should be fine with new wheel cylinders, new lines, new shoes and someone who will actually take the time to adjust them as needed and doesn's tailgate anyone anyway regardless of vehicle.

For those of you thinking about front disc brakes be aware of the space or be willing to totally change your pedal setup to make room for a dual chamber master.

So I was in the same position you are. I was replacing all the brake components (lines , wheel cylinders, hoses) on my '49 B1B and thought it would be a good time to  consider changing over to a more modern dual cylinder master cylinder.  My daily driver is a 2002 Chevy Avalanche.  After a few measurements I thought the Chevy master cylinder might be able to fit in the Dodge.  I ordered a junk yard Chevy master cylinder from Ebay for about $25.  I was able to separate the master cylinder from the reservoir, mount the cylinder in the standard place on the Dodge and mount the reservoir on the fire wall and connect them by hoses using hose clamps.  If this sounds like something you might want to consider, reply back to me and we can discuss the details.  Only fly in the ointment I can see is the Chevy master cylinder measures 6 1/2 inches from the front to the  back side of mounting flange.  Also, not sure if the distance between the mounting surface on the bell housing and the steering box on your '53 B4C is the same as on my '49 B1B. Best regards.

Thanks Squirebill.  I am going with the stock setup - already ordered a new master cylinder - but I will be using a 10psi residual valve and NiCopp lines. 

The Toyota m/c I got is also 6 1/2 inches like the Chevy one you describe and no matter what I tried that half inch just would not let it mount in a usable way.  This 53 B4C has presented some unique challenges along the way.  Interesting how different sub models used different parts and/or placements.  Part of the joy of a rebuild right? 

Thanks again for sharing this idea.

I got my new stock master cylinder and after doing some looking at the setup noticed there is a valve (number 14 in the diagram) already installed so there is no need for the 10 psi residual valve.  That will save some extra connections and potential leak points.

Master cylinder.gif