Aluminum water distribution tube

BobT-47P15

When I was at the Carlisle swap meet a couple years ago, I purchased the only type of water distribution tube I could find for
sale.....it was aluminum.  Looks to be the correct size and style used for my P15 six cylinder engine.  

Is aluminum a good thing or not a good thing for a water tube?    (I did just notice what appears to be a regular steel one on

our favorite shopping site for about 70 bucks.)

Aluminum does conduct heat quite well, however, it is more chemically active than iron.  This may cause it to erode fast, or gall in the water tube channel.  I believe that aluminum heads have to be installed with a special head gasket to isolate them from the block.  The water tube would not be isolated and therefore I suspect it may be subject to a chemical reaction.     Perhaps our more learned members can add to this.

Dave B. 

I haven't had any experience with aluminum water distribution tubes. According to this chart it may be okay but as has been mentioned before, when replacing parts for our cars NOS is probably the better choice when available.

1053638132_GalvanicCorrosionChart.jpg.df606405d68593db31e016321a4cac76.jpg

Edited by T120

If you had no other choice than to use an aluminium water tube then I'd use it but I'd be using a good dose of corrosion inhibitor.......andyd 

Make sure you use one of the modern anti-freeze mixes that are rated to use with aluminum radiators.

• Like 1