Engine Number in the title?

Thomba48

Hi - rather late - but well. I just noticed that my original title corresponds with the engine number of the car and not the VIN number in the door area.

Is this unusual for a car of this age - a 1949 Plymouth - is this typical for Florida?

thanks for your support. I am currently facing legal matters over here for that reason

Some US states did title cars that way years ago.  If the engine is original to the car the engine number will also be stamped into the frame rail near the left rear wheel. Usually just at the bottom left of the arch over the axle.  You may need to clean the area with a wire brush to find it.  If the numbers match that may satisfy the inspector.

Edited by busycoupe

That was standard at that time. You are lucky - many changed the motor but not the paperwork. 

It was common to change the motor, then update the title. There is still a simple procedure in Mo. to do this, it was a form and $2 fee last time I checked.

there is a chance the motor was changed and paperwork updated, so your motor may not match other numbers. I'm having trouble figuring out why you'd have a problem - maybe a young inspector who knows nothing?

tell us what sort of problem it's causing you and there's a good chance one of us has already been through it.

Thanks for all your swift support. You might have noticed I am situated in Germany. And there - please now assume for the purpose of being humurous a very over the top Hollywood German accent - "Rules apply". And the rule states VIN Number must be the same as the title number. I shall now use your insights to persuade the inspector of the legality of my situation.

thanks again. thom

Until about 71 there was no standard "VIN". Just various serial numbers. The serial numbers were the motor numbers in many places. A little searching on the web will undoubtedly turn up some history on this.

I find it hard to believe they can't figure this out - do they think it's just a co incidence that the motor # matches the title?

i've changed a couple from motor to body serial # as I registered them. I also still have 2 that are still under the motor #.

good luck.

Hi Thomba,

I assume that you plan to do a historical registration (H-Kennzeichen) ?! Usually those TÜV-agents who are doing that kind of registration are pretty familiar with the circumstances.

Talking to them / explaining the situation in advance should be very helpful.

My German titel document shows / describes the location of the VIN which is stamped into the nameplate. Located on the right door frame. They didn`t mention the frame`s VIN-No. (same as on the nameplate) in the registration papers.

No engine No. in the title, just the engine data (displacement, hp at rev., kind of fuel). Way better if you should replace the engine someday.

Good luck, Jan

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:47 AM, busycoupe said:

Some US states did title cars that way years ago.  If the engine is original to the car the engine number will also be stamped into the frame rail near the left rear wheel. Usually just at the bottom left of the arch over the axle.  You may need to clean the area with a wire brush to find it.  If the numbers match that may satisfy the inspector.

I can tell you that my 1949 Desoto, first sold in Virginia and then moved to California in about 1955, had the VIN number on the drivers door listed on the Virginia paperwork but the engine number on the California paperwork.  Also, the number is stamped on the frame mid frame and NOT over the wheel arch.

When I restored the 1949 Desoto a few years ago, I filled out the paperwork to change the Pink Slip and registration slip to have the car VIN and not the engine number on all the paperwork.  If you Deck The Block on one of these engines the engine number will be obliterated. 

James.

Edited by James_Douglas
error.