I'm still in the engine rebuilding stage and it's time to do an initial cold engine tappet adjustment. After I get it running, I'll re-do the tappets hot. For now I just want them in the ballpark. How can I be sure the lobes on each cam are pointing straight down for each valve when I'm adjusting the gap? The book says the gap should be .014 cold for intakes and exhausts. ('51 B3B)

I don't have the head on yet. Can cam lobe position be determined from piston height? Or timing gear position?

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
addition

I think you will find that the gap is set when the valve is completely closed.  You can asure that is the case if the "opposite" valve is fully open.  So just watch both valves on a given cylinder and do the following.  When the exhaust is fully opened, adjust the intake to the desired gap.  Then rotate the engine and when the intake opens all the way adjust the exhaust.   Really does not matter which one you do first, and you don't even have to do one cylinder at a time.  Just make sure you eventually do all the valves. 

Maybe this will help you -> http://p15-d24.com/page/p15d24/tech/tech_tips.html/

If you don`t have the oilpan already installed and the engine eventually on a stand, you may watch the specific cam of the camshaft.

The cam lobe should roughly be opposite the lifter on the valve you are adjusting.

Just if you should be uncertain.

• Thanks 1

Easiest for me is to bring #1 up on compression, checking with spark plug out.  Adjust both valves.  Follow the firing order, repeating those steps.  Works with the head on or off. I'll admit to adding 2thou to the clearance and failing to reset hot a few times.  Worked fine.

I

I was fortunate to not have the oil pan mounted and my engine was still on a stand. All I did was turn the engine upside down and rotate the crankshaft until each cam lobe was pointing away from its tappet. Then I adjusted each of the gaps. Should have thought of this to begin with.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
correction
  • Thanks 1

that ^^ probably works well to set them initially.  the "hot" adjustment is much easier than it appears; i'd never done it before, but i was able to adjust all on the running engine.  tappet wrenches make the job even easier, but it can be done with a normal combi-wrench.

• Like 1