Transmission Advice

bergy

Hi to all,

Got a 53 b4.putting the small  block  hemi 276 in. I have a 3:55 ratio diff . Need a  suggested auto trans w/ overdrive to use . Would prefer staying with mopar manuf...Read several posts suggesting  Dakota trans. Not familiar with any of these trans. Would appreciate any knowledge related to this. 

Thanks

I put a Dakota A518 behind my Chrysler HEMI with a Wilcap adapter, I think the adapters are the same.  If I did it again I would've used Quality Engineered Components (Wayfarer here) adapter for a few specific reasons.  I used a 92 Dakota 518 without converter lock up and put big block TF727 direct and forward drums in it, Changed the intermediate bad apply lever to a 4.6 ratio, put the early intermediate band piston in from the TF727.  Did a few valve body mods and installed a home made restrictor in the front drum apply circuit.  Easy trans to work on except for the O/D unit, need a press to get that apart.  Nice thing about the early 518's is it only takes 1 switch for O/D, no other mods and you can use any 727 torque converter you want.

Adam

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

Adam

really appreciate the feed back.A Dakota 518 is what I need then.Must it come from a v6 or v8? I’m not up to date on any late model mopar components. Tha 276 I’m getting has a Wilcap adapter on it now but it’s for a 39 ford. I did call pat McGuire- but as of yet he hasn’t answered. I’m never worked inside an auto trans other than service.But the  one wire overdrive  is what I need. What year Dakota is that from? If you don’t mind once the engine is in  Imight need some more info - so I’d like to contact you .thanks greatly

Mine was from a 91 or 92 Dakota 318 V8.  The reason I suggest Quality Engineered Components for the adapter is my torque converter bolts were a pain in the a$$ with the Wilcap, much easier with QEC one, plus he can answer any HEMI questions you may have.

http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/

With your 276 HEMI, you do not have to do the internal mods I chose to do.  I've been building transmissions for 25+ years so I can't leave them alone, lol.  If you end up with a 2 wire A518 with lock up converter, that's perfectly fine.  Several aftermarket places make very very simple kits for the lock up function.

Adam

EDIT:  With a 276, I would also be on the lookout for an A500 O/D.  Basically the 904 version instead of the 727 version the 518 is and smaller sized.  It should handle anything your 276 will put out.  Just make sure you get the correct bellhousing.

These transmissions come with a .69 overdrive, so unless you're running short tires, I'd up the gear ratio to at the very least 3.73+

1 more EDIT.  Check your torque converter bolt circle.  Make sure it matches the flexplate bolt circle, Ma Mopar had 2 bolt patterns for the torque converters

Edited by Adam H P15 D30