cooling circuit pressure....

bluefoxamazone

hello! greetings from Belgium, where the chocolate is never far away and the beer is always cold....

Can I ask a simple question. Is the cooling circuit of my stock Cranbrook engine pressurised or not during operation? I did not have the original radiator cap and I have put in a radiator cap which I bought at Rockauto. (the one with a red discharge valve). I get the feeling that the presure in the cooling system is fairly high. Is this the cap to use or do I need one for a totally open system..?

Thanks for the advice....

Part image

Franky

The simple way to tell is the location of the overflow tube.  If it originates from a turret on the radiator expansion tank or on the filler neck below the bottom gasket on the cap, it is a non pressurized system and the cap doesn't matter because it can not build pressure as the vent is below where the cap seals.  If the overflow opening is in the filler neck between the top of the cap and the bottom gasket then that indicates it it designed to build pressure.  Before 55/56 most systems operated in the 3 to 7 psi range. This is where the proper cap is necessary to assure your components, radiator, heater core, and hoses don't fail due to over pressuring the system.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plymouth cars was introduced to the market in mid 1950 with pressurized system.....had to look up my notes.....mid 1950 through 1952 is 4 lb pressure cap...53-54 got a 7 pound cap...you can be assured of you system by looking at the over flow tube..if it is on the radiator cap fill neck...it is pressurized...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams