Lower shock mounts

thebelvedereman

Hey does anybody got a picture of their lower rear shock mounts, Plymouth or Dodge, my car is a 39, but I think they're pretty much all the same, I'm just trying to get an idea of what they should look like, someone put a newer Chevy rear end in my car, it has shock mounts on it, but they don't match up at all with the factory upper mounts, and I'm just trying to figure out which way to go with them, thanks

1 hour ago, oldodge41 said:

When I put the Explorer rear under my 41 Dodge the sghocks hit the larger axle tubes with the original mounts so I made these

2013-06-02_19-36-32_148.jpg

My car has something similar, except they point forward for some bizarre reason, I'm going to have to measure them and see if I can swap them so they face sideways like yours, if the U hangers are the same distance front to back as they are side to side, thanks

My 39 coupe's shock mounts look to be very similar if not identical to the P-15 mounts in Don C's photo.  The shocks lean forward at close to a 45% angle to mount to the frame, not sure of the engineering behind this idea.  Must of been the same team that mounted the front shocks entirely to the suspension parts.

brian b

3 hours ago, brian b said:

My 39 coupe's shock mounts look to be very similar if not identical to the P-15 mounts in Don C's photo.  The shocks lean forward at close to a 45% angle to mount to the frame, not sure of the engineering behind this idea.  Must of been the same team that mounted the front shocks entirely to the suspension parts.

brian b

Yeah that's the way mine are from the factory also, I just wasn't positive what the Lower Mount looked like, the guy I got the car from butched it up quite a bit, my top shock mounts are still there, but it has a GM rear end in it, and it has lower mounts similar to The Originals, but they're offset to one side, and facing forward, instead of towards the middle of the car, I think maybe the guy just put them on wrong because he didn't know any better, they kind of look like newer Mopars but facing forwards instead of backwards, and the angle at they're on the shock would have to be straight up, which wouldn't be a problem, in fact I bought mounts to do it with but there is no inside of the frame to mount them on so they would be recessed inside the frame, and I would either have to notch the lower part of the frame which I would never do, or make some kind of extensions so they would sit out further, which I didn't want to do either because they wouldn't be very strong, but I'm pretty sure I can just unbolt the u-bolts and flip the lower shock mounts around so they face the way the originals do and that would solve all the problems

Rain....think of it as lesson in patience and for you to take advantage of the time to familiarize yourself with the car and address the safety needs prior to entering the vehicle back onto the highways..

I am also experiencing a bit of back to back daily rains, but we sure do need the moisture...so am not complaining....installed the stereo while wet outside....and being a convertible I have no interest to drive the car with any top in place......