1949 Meadowbrook engine swap into 1947 D-24 Coupe?

ebruns1

Fellas,

Anyone familiar with the '49 Dodge Meadowbrook flathead 6 engine?  Would that bolt right up to my 1947 Fluid drive D-24 convertible?  Same engine mounts and everything?  I was thinking about swapping a runner from a buddy vs. a complete rebuild of my low compression (30 psi) engine that was in the car.  It has the standard(?) tranny still attached so I could use his or the one still in my car.  Did '49's come with Fluid Drive as an option or only 3 speeds?  I'm not opposed to pulling the fluid drive since I have no way presently to evaluate if mine is still working ok or not, and he says his trans was working fine at the time he pulled it.  His might even be fluid drive, I haven't looked at it yet...

49 minutes ago, ebruns1 said:

Fellas,

Anyone familiar with the '49 Dodge Meadowbrook flathead 6 engine?  Would that bolt right up to my 1947 Fluid drive D-24 convertible?  Same engine mounts and everything?  I was thinking about swapping a runner from a buddy vs. a complete rebuild of my low compression (30 psi) engine that was in the car.  It has the standard(?) tranny still attached so I could use his or the one still in my car.  Did '49's come with Fluid Drive as an option or only 3 speeds?  I'm not opposed to pulling the fluid drive since I have no way presently to evaluate if mine is still working ok or not, and he says his trans was working fine at the time he pulled it.  His might even be fluid drive, I haven't looked at it yet...

My advice,and worth every penny it cost you,is to rebuild the original engine and keep it a number correct car. Convertibles are already rare,and correct ones are going to be even rarer in the future. Since there is no power or mechanical refinement to be gained,why do it?

Edited by knuckleharley

It will bolt in.  If the 49 has stock running gear, it is a Fluid Drive.  If someone changed it to a standard clutch (non FD) use your D24 trans and FD unit.  Both crankshafts should be 8 bolt but if the engine not original to the 49, who knows....

If you wish to keep it numbers matching, rebuild or store the stocker while you enjoy the car with the 49 engine in it.

Adam

Edited by Adam H P15 D30
  • Like 1

Knuckle,

My reasoning for the swap:

1.  Current engine looks like will need a full re-build, and from someone's thread on this forum a few days ago I'm looking at possibly $4000(?) or more plus at least 6-9 months time says my machine shop.

2.  Donor engine is "ready to run" or so says this guy (I can't verify, but I will be doing a compression check and possibly try to bench run before I commit to it).  Theoretically I could have it installed and running in as little as 2 months if everything goes smoothly.

3.  Car is nice ...but FAR from show worthy.  I'll just be happy to get it on the road again.  Most floors rusted away and cobbled together with poorly done sheet steel riveted over top.  I don't think numbers matching would add any value, but I would save the original in any case for future owner.

JT

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ebruns1 said:

Knuckle,

My reasoning for the swap:

1.  Current engine looks like will need a full re-build, and from someone's thread on this forum a few days ago I'm looking at possibly $4000(?) or more plus at least 6-9 months time says my machine shop.

JT,I do understand the ugly reality of things,but since you have a convertible you do NOT want to lose the original matching number engine.

I also understand wanting to be able to drive it NOW,not next year.

Maybe you can do now what your budget will allow you to do now to start driving and enjoying the car,while keeping the original engine and checking around the auto mechanics and machine shop courses at local high schools, community colleges,and trade schools? Yeah,some instructors will be yuppie idiots that will look down at a flat engine and refuse to allow it,but others will see it as "machine work and engine assembly is machine work and engine assembly,and it's all good",and have students rebuilt your engine for you so they can get the class credits to graduate. There will no labor fees and no shortcuts allowed,and all it will cost you is more time waiting than you want,and what it cost you for parts.

Then,later,if you want to,you can put the original engine back in the car as a brand new engine instead of a used engine? Or failing that,just keep it in your shop under cover somewhere,and when/if you ever decide to sell your convertible,you can get a lot more money out of it from a restorer if it has a matching numbers engine?

I just like the idea of having options. Especially options that can help bring you extra money if you ever need it.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1