Had to take my radiator to the shop

BobT-47P15

My original radiator developed a leak in the upper left corner, back side......and began leaking onto my garage floor.  I finally drained it

and removed it from the car.   Took it to our local old timey radiator shop......the same fellow has been there since I moved here in 

1968.  We visited a bit a couple days ago when I took the rad in.....said he is now 73 and plans to continue on for a while.   He called

me yesterday and said it appears the rad can be repaired.....so that's what I will do.  I have another rad from a 1950 or so Plymouth, 

which has a different top tank arrangement due to being a pressurized system.  The shop said the bottom tank on that rad leaks and

would need to be fixed before use.  If I ever have to use it, I will have my top tank attached to it for non pressure  and because it has

the mounting units for those little metal fins that mount atop the P15  radiators.  I have the fins, but not the rubberized piece that

attaches to the fins.  Those pieces can be reproduced using some rubberized material, but I don't recall where to get it.  

I think greg g has a pattern for the rubber piece.......he gave me one once but not sure I can find it now.     

My radiator shop called yesterday that mine has been repaired this too is an old time shop, lots of 60's cars there all the time. Cost: $65.00. Seems fair.

21 minutes ago, pflaming said:

My radiator shop called yesterday that mine has been repaired this too is an old time shop, lots of 60's cars there all the time. Cost: $65.00. Seems fair.

I would say very fair, last one I had repaired cost me 3 times that.

I took mine to a local shop that’s been there for many years to be repaired or recored- they claimed they could not fix it, and then told me a recore would be $700 Ouch !!!!! I bought an AL radiator instead for 165 delivered via ebay. Works fine. Copper/brass radiators are a small fortune anymore - at least in Chicago area.

Shop called me, radiator is ready. Went to pick it up and was told, there is nothing wrong, they did a bath check for air leaks under pressure. The cost to me, ZERO MONEY! FREE. Now that IS rare! 

My  shop told me a new core would cost between 3 and 4 hundred dollars....if needed.

Out of curiosity, I asked if there are any other radiator shops in our town nowadays.  He said one small

shop had closed, but there is now a place owned by a large company called LKQ, which also owns several

salvage yards.  

A couple days ago, I stopped by a small auto restoration shop to see a fellow who works there  -- to inquire where they

get replacement radiators when needed.  They usually buy from Champion Radiator -- getting an aluminum rad for

something in the two hundred to three hundred dollar range.   I think the Plymouth one was priced at $223.

I'm glad mine can be repaired.  I really prefer the original look and the fact it is black to match other things under

the hood.  As opposed to a nice, shiny silver aluminum one which would really stand out.  Whatever my guy charges

will probably be reasonable.....and worth it to me   

Edited by BobT-47P15
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I would be very thankful if someone can point to a pattern or template for the above-mentioned rubber pieces (MoPar P/N 973 582 radiator seal):

"The shop said the bottom tank on that rad leaks and

would need to be fixed before use.  If I ever have to use it, I will have my top tank attached to it for non pressure  and because it has

the mounting units for those little metal fins that mount atop the P15  radiators.  I have the fins, but not the rubberized piece that

attaches to the fins.  Those pieces can be reproduced using some rubberized material, but I don't recall where to get it.  

I think greg g has a pattern for the rubber piece.......he gave me one once but not sure I can find it now.   " 

RADIATOR-SEALS.jpg