Wi-Fi Security Cam In My Garage

keithb7

I must admit when I bought the D-link DCS-936L wi-fi cam, on sale for $65 I was skeptical. I took it home, plugged it in, downloaded the app. Got it connected to my home wireless home internet. Loaded the app on my iphone and got to tweaking the settings. 

It works really well. Any movement that is picked up in my garage, I get a notice on my iphone. Instantly. It starts recording clips and saves them on it’s micro SD card. 

I can flip on the view and see live, whats going on in my garage. Middle of the night, someone decides to come in, ding ding. I’m  on my way.  Out for dinner? In Mexico? Yup. Call the neighbour.  

It can be triggered to record from movement or sound. 70% sensitivity yields me no false readings. It also records video and sound. 

I’m impressed by it. However I’m more impressed at how often my wife is in my tool box helping herself. And putting everything back! Never again will ai think twice about investing more money in tools. They seem to get 10X the use I thought I was giving them. 

For those savvy enough, I recommend this low priced security cam. The night vision is B&W and offers very good clear images and video in total darkness. 720 dpi camera. 

I figured likely this cam for the price, would be retuned after a week of false alarms and a glitchy app. Nope. It’s a keeper. 

My old Chrysler safely at home. 

479ACFCE-35C9-4E71-AF50-FB73BCE848A7.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TodFitch said:

There seems to be a number of options out there over a big range of prices. How did you decide on the D-Link unit?

It was on sale. It seems like a reputable company. I had been thinking about trying one out so I made the decision the spot to buy. It turned out well.

I have Nest cameras and smoke detectors.  Since we live relatively rural and all, smoke is a good thing to get notified of.

I recently invested in an Arlo wireless wi-fi system from Netgear. Easy to set up and has been flawless for a few months now. Cameras in the house, the barn and the garage. Plan to add one outside covering the drive as well. My son has a system that also shows room temp and air quality. Says he'll get an alert when the dog farts. Amazing stuff!

There is good software called Blue Iris which lets you use wifi cameras from dozens of manufacturers and lets then all work together thru your computer and they have an app for your smartphone so you can view and control your cameras from anywhere. I have 14 cameras of various makes watching my homestead.

http://blueirissoftware.com