Hood / top of the Radiator

TFC

1952 B3B: Todays question is about the hood and how it attaches the front of the grill/cowl.  On my truck the back of the front center hood piece is resting on the overflow tube of the radiator(the tube is  actually halfway crushed from the hood resting on it.  Can't imagine this is correct?  Can you guys set me straight on how this should be?  Pic attached.  THANKS...

hood & radiator.jpg

4 hours ago, The Oil Soup said:

My B4B looks just like the photo. Is the support piece the same in the B3, B4 trucks?

I vote no... my b3 & b4 are like TFC's photo.... 

i have noticed on mine, if there is a crack/s on the center section (in front where the side wings hinges) it causes the center section to sag and rest on the overflow tube. The clearance isn't that great to being with. 

and yes Davin is correct..... we are crazy....... crazy about trucks! ?

Edited by Brent B3B

The hoods on these trucks are far from perfect.  The exploded parts view is accurate for '48-'50, but '51-'53 are somewhat different.  The baffle (69) in the parts view was eliminated in '51; the extension (68) was made slightly beefier in '51.  The B-3 and B-4 that I have with the hoods installed have similar problems sitting on the radiator...it may be considered a feature if anyone asks...

additional information - B-3 with Hood Removed :cool:

Edited by JBNeal
revised link

Even the NOS hood I have for TODD has the cracks in the metal up the sides where the hinge ends from just sitting around for 60+ years.  Definitely a design issue.  THEORETICALLY if the hood is not "stretched" by having the doghouse and cab distance set right it would help support the center section like an arch bridge...but reality sets in and things move or are off a little.  I know some that have pulled the hood and added a re-enforcement in that area to help solve the issue....I know I wish I had done something on FEF for the future.

7 hours ago, JBNeal said:

The baffle (69) in the parts view was eliminated in '51; the extension (68) was made slightly beefier in '51. 

dunno about that....I have very similar parts in FEF...if memory serves..which it might not... :P

Did you or previous owner put in a new rad? I got one from American Rad and I knew it would be wrong for my Canadian truck, and they didn't disappoint, but when I matched up everything to the original spec, that's exactly what I got...hood resting on the overflow tube.  I thought rather then messing with the all new mounting brackets I built for a second time, I just cut my tube off where the hood was resting, and cut it at the filler and soldered in a new tube exiting on the drivers side.  I use some foam chunks between the hood and the rad to ensure they couldn't rub in future, but I have yet to find a good hood for one of these trucks...gull wing a great style, but takes a lot of abuse

Pretty sure my radiator is original.  Just did a close inspection of the hood, mine has the "stress cracks" Brent mentioned.   Like the idea of foam rubber support to eliminate metal to metal rub and help spread load of supporting the hood over a larger area of the top of the radiator.  Thanks for clarify this issue for me guys.

4 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

dunno about that....I have very similar parts in FEF...if memory serves..which it might not... :P

There is two baffles in the diagram an upper and a lower...... ?

Edited by Brent B3B

12 minutes ago, Brent B3B said:

There is two baffles in the diagram an upper and a lower...... ?

don't go baffling me now....

• Haha 1

I found a couple of photos after the radiator was removed.  I will have to load them separately.  BTW, my hood had the same cracks everyone else is talking about, and the overflow line was somewhat flattened, but nothing that could not be lived with.

headlight harness across top of rad 2.JPG

• Like 2

I took some new photos showing the radiator in place.  This is a replacement radiator (which works GREAT) from U.S. Radiator.  It is a direct bolt in.

IMG_1164.JPG

Bright idea time - if you are having a radiator shop boil out your radiator,have them move the overflow line further back toward the engine where it won't get crushed.  You can see in my last photo about how far you would have to move it.

On 5/18/2018 at 8:01 AM, Desotodav said:

Looks like you're missing a vital part...

Actually, now that I see the photos from others... I recall seeing Brent's truck was like that when I was at the BBQ last year. Some joker's had placed a heap of beer bottle caps under the overflow pipe there ?

There sure are a few differences between our trucks. We seem to have stayed with the same parts longer here in Oz and just changed the dash and the nosecone. The hood from my C series truck would actually interchange with my B series truck.

55 Desoto.JPG

• Haha 1