Part #s for preferred 12v condenser

Dirtyracer

Long time reader first time poster. After a lot of google searching i didnt find a  definitive answer to what part# to use at the local napa for the 12v condenser and coil. When going to 12v neg ground.i have a 48 plymouth special deluxe and wonder if there is a preferred one people have been using. That mount easily into the stock locations. I understand most anu 12v will work. But is there one that fits easier than others ?

I was trying to avoid the resistor. i know the 6v points will live a long life under 12v. Its just one less problem to worry about an hour from the house. Plus they get surprisingly hot. 

it is not so much the points that is going to be your failure by not using the resistor, it will be the  coil overheating....oh for sure the points will burn out quick at a quicker rate with the higher voltage but you coil will shut down first.  Many by pass the external resistor using a internal resistor coil but it keeps voltage higher for longer periods during warm up.

Back to capacitor, I would not use any NOS auto parts capacitor because most of them were paper capacitors, and they go bad with age. Use any modern mylar or polypropylene capacitor, 0.15 uF rated at least 400 V. Proper connectors can be soldered on if necessary.

Why not just put a Pertronix module in the distributor, you wont have to worry about a condensor or points.

I looked into pertronix however iam trying to use as many off the shelf parts as Possible . The car will see many long hwy stints away from home and it would b nice. To have the Ability in an emergency to visit the local parts house and b back on the road. Motor and clutch are fresh carb is new and modern and I have sourced a 307 geard xj rearend. I was going to leave it 6v and even replaced most of the wireing including oo gaged battery and starter wires. However I would like a modern radio,gps and phone chargers . Iam just trying to keep it simple yet reliable. Me and my family have put thousands of miles in classics including a recent 1800 mile trip in our 68 Plymouth fury. We plan something Similar this summer and if the seats are recovered in time would like to take the 48 this time 

21 hours ago, Dirtyracer said:

I looked into pertronix however iam trying to use as many off the shelf parts as Possible . The car will see many long hwy stints away from home and it would b nice. To have the Ability in an emergency to visit the local parts house and b back on the road. Motor and clutch are fresh carb is new and modern and I have sourced a 307 geard xj rearend. I was going to leave it 6v and even replaced most of the wireing including oo gaged battery and starter wires. However I would like a modern radio,gps and phone chargers . Iam just trying to keep it simple yet reliable. Me and my family have put thousands of miles in classics including a recent 1800 mile trip in our 68 Plymouth fury. We plan something Similar this summer and if the seats are recovered in time would like to take the 48 this time 

If your concerned about the Pertronix module failing, which I am sure it can,  they do seem to be very reliable, I have had one in my '28 Chrysler for well over 12 months, I do one, two or three weddings almost every weekend, so reliability is very important to me as well, you can keep the points and condensor in the boot/trunk for a quick roadside change. Seriously, its a ten minute change back to points. Great thing about the Pertronix module is, it keeps your dwell angle perfect all the time, set and forget.