Oil or Hydraulic Fluid

What are you guys using in the presto-matic for fluid I tried tractor supply for Hydraulic Fluid with an ISO of 32 and nothing and 10 Weight Oil is non existing around here in Dairy Land

40 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

I hadn’t checked recently, but I got ISO AW32 tractor hydraulic fluid at Farm & Fleet many years ago when I needed it. It’s a common hydraulic oil for ag tractors. 

I've seen it within the last couple of months at a  local NAPA store,and have seen in in the Tractor Supply stores when I go to them. If they don't happen to have it in stock when you go there,they can order it for you.

48 minutes ago, wisconsinjimmy said:

Hi Guy's

I picked up 2 gal of hydraulic  from O'Reilly what threw me was ISO 32 never heard of AW well maybe I am going to put all four on the ground and drive it out of the shop. Need some room as I have a 49 PLY that I have to take apart and pedal what I do not need. I also have my eyes set on a 46 Dodge with suicide doors but all it is good for is parts.

I do thank you on setting me straight. 

I am GUESSING the "AW" rating is for "all weather" use.

Probably wrong,though. Then again,never heard of anybody changing their hydraulic oil when the seasons changed,either. That "AW" probably had a lot of meaning back in the 40's,though.

51 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

good guess knuckle...but it stands for Anti Wear

Isn't that the purpose of ALL oil?

1 hour ago, Don Coatney said:

Sort of like buying extra strength ether. 

4.jpg

LOL!

Nothing to break loose.

The Prestomatic refers to the Chrysler m-6  trans only... nothing to break loose in that or the separate fluid drive  coupling.

You are that the m6 requires 2 fluids. The hydraulic fluid goe into the fluid coupling between the engine and transmission.  These units seldom need servicing unless they have a bad seal.  You don't need to change the fluid as a maintenance procedure.  You should check the level and top up if needed through the access panel in the floor hump.  The transmission takes another separate lubricant.I will let the folks with m6 tell you what they use.  The m6 is a two range unit with 2 gear in low range, and two gears in high range. In normal operation, low range is not used.  Typically after backing out of your garage, high range is selected using the clutch and shift lever and then driving around is done in high range using the brake and gas pedal only.  If you run into a situation where you need to pull a building off its foundation, climb a 30% grade or drive on the beach, then you might need to use low range.  If I recall, the top speed in top gear of low range might be 28 mph.  The selection of high range should be through an adjustable rod and a mechanical movement of the linkage.  Assure that it is properly seleting high range.  

The Imperial Club website repair section has some very helpful trouble shooting guide, maintenance procedures, and mechanic training materials.  The All Par site also has a good section on the M 6 , how to use it and care for it. Even though it has a clutch, it is meant to go between ranges, or to select reverse.  It is not necessary to use the clutch for normal driving.

Edited by greg g

You need to look at your owners manual and get the factory  light blue colored 1949-50 Chrysler shop manual.

These will get you straightened out.