1946-1948 Plymouth parking brake

dale

When installing a different transmission you lose the original parking brake.. Here is what I just finished doing.  I installed a chevy 350 motor and 350 automatic a couple years back in my 46 Plymouth and also a 1999 Ford Explorer rear end.  To get a parking brake again I took a NEW Explorer right rear cable housing while retaining the original Explorer brake cable setup, coming from the rear brakes.. removed the cable and replaced it with a NEW 1969 Roadrunner cable which hooked up to the original brake handle assy. ..  So now I had the Explorer cable housing with the roadrunner inner cable together.. The trailing end came out with plenty to spare right down on the frame where I placed a bell crank.  I cut the cable off and  clamped it back together using small cable clamps as needed.  ...I made the bell crank out of 5/6 by 1 1/4 flat bar and drilled about 3/16 dia holes where I inserted the cable into the holes via about 1/8 slots from the outer edge to the holes... I welded a piece of the same flatbar perpendicular to the first piece and drilled a 3/8 hole thru for the pivit bolt.  ..Drilled a 3/8 clearance hole thru the frame near the top for the pivet bolt and used a brass fitting about one inch long I had as a spacer to get the bell crank away .  I used the cut off cable ends with the crimped on ends to insert into the bell crank via the slots and cable clamped those to the other cables making sure there was no slack..  works great !!!  Dale

Edited by dale
addition