1940 Windsor Coupe Triple Carb Manifolds-Which carbs to use?

JPetrakis66

I want to see this thing in action.  It looks amazing.  If you were to build a radical six, like the Montana boys for example, perhaps this would be beneficial....    Life is full of risks, sometimes you just got to go for it. Trial and error is what makes things better....

I own AOK manifolds, and am going to use them.  But if I build one more project, I will need an option.  Offenhouser Manifold doesn't suit well with me, and buying a welded up broken Edmunds from eBay doesn't seem the way to go either....  I totally like it that there is one more guy out there trying to help us make a Flathead go!  

• Thanks 1

Thanks Guys 

Just enjoying the feedback and R&D and yes we love these old engines ...cant hurt having a little fun with a bit of Art and a little bit of performance :)

The background behind the development of the manifolds was a result of two brother over a few beers waging each other who would go faster...one with a 23 inch and the other with a 25 inch block ...no radical engine builds....carb/cam/exhaust/intake manifold combos allowed BUT...needed to be done tastefully...no 9 inch grinder with welded hacked manifolds.

One of the brothers is an Senior Engineer... AUTOCAD/CASTING/Modelling ...bla blah blah....Vs the other brother who is a car guy engine builder with plenty of  run/ blown/build experience R&D the grass roots way

Fun and games .....:)...Will post some of the other items soon that will be tested 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JPetrakis66 said:

Thanks Guys 

Just enjoying the feedback and R&D and yes we love these old engines ...cant hurt having a little fun with a bit of Art and a little bit of performance :)

The background behind the development of the manifolds was a result of two brother over a few beers waging each other who would go faster...one with a 23 inch and the other with a 25 inch block ...no radical engine builds....carb/cam/exhaust/intake manifold combos allowed BUT...needed to be done tastefully...no 9 inch grinder with welded hacked manifolds.

One of the brothers is an Senior Engineer... AUTOCAD/CASTING/Modelling ...bla blah blah....Vs the other brother who is a car guy engine builder with plenty of  run/ blown/build experience R&D the grass roots way

Fun and games .....:)...Will post some of the other items soon that will be tested 

Just remember too much cfm engine goes slower! Size cfm under what you think you need . CFM = ci x rpm /3456 = CFM @ 100% unless highly modified you want to be about 80% .

11 hours ago, justold said:

Just remember too much cfm engine goes slower! Size cfm under what you think you need . CFM = ci x rpm /3456 = CFM @ 100% unless highly modified you want to be about 80% .

Thanks justtold ...your 100% correct in making sure cfm lines up ,,,going to make sure pump keeps up as we move forward 

Hi Guys 

Just an update . Completed my 23" single barrel manifolds to suit B&B today ...Looking awesome and incorporated some of the feedback like leaving bosses to make it easier for the linkage setups. Here is a couple of pics. Next is the 25" setups.

Like always Feedback Welcomed......

33553580_10216613101860334_8290053863654817792_n.jpg

single barrel.jpg

23singlebarrel.jpg

23bosses.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just completed my 25' manifolds in both triple and dual carb to suit Stromberg 97s. I also made up some risers to play around with too Next stage to bolt them up and have a play on both of my 1940 Windsors. These are for double barrel, but will be making also for single barrel ( dual and triple). Also will make the 23 inch versions ...need them for my D5 and D24!!

Flatty6.jpg

flatty62.jpg

Edited by JPetrakis66
  • Like 2

J-P,

34 minutes ago, JPetrakis66 said:

Just completed my 25' manifolds in both triple and dual carb to suit Stromberg 97s. I also made up some risers to play around with too Next stage to bolt them up and have a play on both of my 1940 Windsors. These are for double barrel, but will be making also for single barrel ( dual and triple). Also will make the 23 inch versions ...need them for my D5 and D24!!

Flatty6.jpg

flatty62.jpg

what a tremendous effort! Gorgeous castings and machine work.

I believe that we're on the same wave- length!

IMG_3140.jpg.9fb42ac56484b3a7646f5132ee286fa9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2018 at 3:12 AM, JPetrakis66 said:

Flatty6.jpg

flatty62.jpg

I'd be a Guinea pig and test a dual 1bbl on my 230 :)

First off.... omfg another 1940 Chrysler! Jealous that you can cast and make those!

i made my own triple carb set up. Slowly getting it when I have he time. I think it’s running to rich so I need to jet down and there’s almost something like a power valve in the carbs. I’m using 3 carter bb. With how my set up is that they are all in line. Its not a progressive setup. All 3 carbs are connected together and open all together. I have a plenum under the carbs but each runner kinda has a carb dedicated to its own port. 

The picture included is when the carbs Arne were being mocked up. She’s back in the road and I’m enjoying the car. I don’t think I have a picture of with all back together with the tri carb set up, weird that I didn’t take a pic

5B808C99-EDF3-4A5B-A857-B10F5D10A82A.jpeg

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, FlashBuddy said:

That gold head is fantastic. Lovin' that. I may have to steal this great idea. Oh, the triple carbs are cool, but are they better than two carbs?

Thank you.  I was looking for more of a champagne gold color, but happy with the overall outcome.    Thanks. 

To be honest with you Ive been reading and there are opinions.  George Asch and company sold me on the idea that the triple single will work best.

Its also a 'cool' factor.  lol

1990 DeVal 265

IMG_3187.jpg.d83f383a313c64581f880d0b9058b067.jpg

On 12/5/2018 at 2:21 PM, 49D-24BusCpe said:

1990 DeVal 265

IMG_3187.jpg.d83f383a313c64581f880d0b9058b067.jpg

Beautiful.  Not familiar with DeVal but looks just like  25" Chrysler/Desoto block..  Im really confused.  lol

Edited by 40desoto
Error no text

The only hard part on mine was getting the kick down to work ,with the original carb in the centre  ,there isn't enough vacuum for the kick down to work ,so put in a switch ,like a shift right  to make the car shift down from 4th to third .Works perfectly