Another brake adjustment option

insaneradio

After almost 30 years of poor braking and trying every "work around" available, I finally came to the realization I was going to have to make my own tool to align the brake pads.  Here is what I came up with.  I had an old rusted brake drum under my bench.  I ground/cut off the center rivets and removed the center hub.  I welded a rod and installed a dial indicator.  This was the result.  Ofcourse the pictures show the completed unit without the wheel bearings installed.  It worked quite well.  One will have to install wheel bearing to utilize the unit.  The result is I now have brakes that I can trust.  Here is the procedure I used:

1.  Turned the minor adjustment in about 1/4 travel. 

2. Rotate the major adjustment just till the heel of the shoes touched the drum VERY slightly. 

3.  Remove drum and Install hub/dial devise.  Rotate dial to HEEL of shoe.  Set the dial to "zero" at the the measurement of the HEEL of the shoe.  This now became MAX adjustment. 

4. Rotate the hub/dial to the toe of shoe. Turn the minor adjustment until it read zero on dial at toe of shoe as well.  I did have to "touch-up" the major adjustment slightly until all reading across the shoe from heel to toe read zero.

5.  Repeat procedure for second shoe.

I am quite pleased with the results.  This is certainly one of several options out there.  Being I was unable to locate an original adjustment tool this became my only option.  And frankly a good one for me.  I am quite pleased with the outcome.  I hope this helps others who have struggled as I have for so many years.  Good luck!

rsz_20180515_213046[1].jpg

rsz_20180515_213214[1].jpg

rsz_220180515_213644[1].jpg

Edited by insaneradio
  • Like 4

Nice job! Nice welds too.?

59 minutes ago, insaneradio said:

After almost 30 years of poor braking and trying every "work around" available, I finally came to the realization I was going to have to make my own tool to align the brake pads.  Here is what I came up with.  I had an old rusted brake drum under my bench.  I ground/cut off the center rivets and removed the center hub.  I welded a rod and installed a dial indicator.  This was the result.  Ofcourse the pictures show the completed unit without the wheel bearings installed.  It worked quite well.  One will have to install wheel bearing to utilize the unit.  The result is I now have brakes that I can trust.  Here is the procedure I used:

1.  Turned the minor adjustment in about 1/4 travel. 

2. Rotate the major adjustment just till the heel of the shoes touched the drum VERY slightly. 

3.  Remove drum and Install hub/dial devise.  Rotate dial to HEEL of shoe.  Set the dial to "zero" at the the measurement of the HEEL of the shoe.  This now became MAX adjustment. 

4. Rotate the hub/dial to the toe of shoe. Turn the minor adjustment until it read zero on dial at toe of shoe as well.  I did have to "touch-up" the major adjustment slightly until all reading across the shoe from heel to toe read zero.

5.  Repeat procedure for second shoe.

I am quite pleased with the results.  This is certainly one of several options out there.  Being I was unable to locate an original adjustment tool this became my only option.  And frankly a good one for me.  I am quite pleased with the outcome.  I hope this helps others who have struggled as I have for so many years.  Good luck!

rsz_20180515_213046[1].jpg

rsz_20180515_213214[1].jpg

rsz_220180515_213644[1].jpg

I like it.

• Like 1

What about the rear axle gauge?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wiggo said:

I love the seller's note: 

Seller notes: MAY CONTAIN MISSING PARTS/PIECES

I wonder how you'd identify them?

They would be easily identified as the parts you don't have when you are in the middle of a job and need them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1