Oil Filter canister gasket size

rumble48

ok I give....  Since I purchased my plymouth several years ago, I have  been changing the oil each year, using the napa 1080 filter, this filter fit fine, but the gasket has always seemed to be thicker/wider than the groove in the top allows.  So under the heading of 'don't fix it if it ain't broke', I just put the top back on and called it done.

This year after the oil change I noticed some oil pooling in the top of the filter,  after researching here on the website I found my problem was most likely the fiber washer in the top...  so I changed it out for a copper one....  problem solved.  

Almost,  now that I'm paying more attention, the gasket for the top (that I never change) is allowing some oil to leak down the side of the canister.... I looked at a napa 1010, and while the filter looks similar, the gasket diameter is much smaller and not workable. Back to the 1080, the gasket does fit in the top, but seems too wide to fit into the groove for good sealing.

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

simple answer. Measure the outside diaterm and the inside diameter in the lid where the original gasket would have been in the groove. Go to napa and then see if they have a gasket witht he same demension or buy some cork rubber gasket material and then using a compass use the same measurements that you already have and cut out your own gasket and then make a couple more.  I had to do this with the AC canister model that I have on my 39 Desoto and I do not have any problems.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

10 hours ago, rumble48 said:

I am thinking of going down that path.....  trimming the gasket on the inside would make it fit into the groove of the canister top... not much of a steady hand these days...thanks 

It does not have to look pretty just be functional to stop the oil from leaking out the lid.

Rich HArtung