Meadowbrook Project

GCastle50

Hey y'all, I haven't been on the site in a while but I've decided to update this thread. The car is stripped down almost to the shell and I've been working on the body myself, prepping and priming. All the wiring is fried so I will be replacing it soon enough. I had wanted to swap the original flatty for a 318 but after a lot of thought, I have decided to stay with the car's original engine and just rebuild it. I'll be posting some pictures here soon. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hey y'all, its been a while. I haven't made much progress on the car, I started college last year so there isn't really much time or money to go into my car. However, I did paint it this August. I used "Oliver Green" tractor paint thinking it would be closer to a hunter green but I'm still happy with the job. My bodywork could be a lot better but it's good enough for now. The engine is still blown apart and in boxes and probably won't be worked until after I graduate. I plan on fixing up the interior & suspension and leave the drivetrain and wiring for last.

Recently, I've lost a lot of motivation for working on this car as I really haven't made much progress since I bought it over four years ago. I've been going back and forth between selling/parting it out or keeping it; however, I know I probably won't get much for it and I wouldn't want to sell it to someone just so they could go chop it up to hell and destroy a very original car. I think my next move is to find a parts car, which I probably should have done earlier, because there are big & small parts I need and that seems like the most economical way to find them all.

20200801_182103.jpg

20200801_182047.jpg

Don't sell it! It's okay that progress is at a standstill or very slow.  All of us have been through similar situations and are maybe still going through it.  Like me with my 48 Dodge truck.  I've had it 2 years now and to things are slow going.  But it's okay.  There's no time limit, and it's not a race.  And you're young!

• Like 1

Doing some research for the parts you need will provide some motivation.  Compare what you can source for just parts vs. a parts car before you go down the parts car road...although having two cars in the dooryard can be motivational, too, sometimes.  Don't fret over timeliness, this stuff isn't necessarily a competition.  Enjoy college, tinker with the car.  You'll have something unique that you did yourself when you're done.

I was able to work on my '48 while in college but I limited my work to collecting parts and doing small repairs, as that was all my budget (time + $$$) would allow.  Carburetor + fuel pump rebuild, sending the gas tank Renu'd, rebuilding the electric windshield wiper motor, finding appropriate manuals, finding wrecking yards that had any usable parts...I didn't finish the truck before I got my BSME, but I did get it running and was on my way to getting it roadworthy with my first professional paycheck (which had an extra zero in it compared to the ones I got in college while dirtying up  my nails working at Firestone).  So I look back at all that and remember making some progress while having a productive distraction from my stressful studies :cool:

• Like 1