WC Rear axle removal

Hey guys, I’m wanting to replace the races and bearings on the rear axle shaft of my 46 WC pickup, and I’m not totally sure on how to take them out. I know I gotta remove the axle shaft and my book calls for a special tool that I don’t have. Do any of you know how to get the axle out without that tool?

I used a slide hammer that I had available. Others have reported good ideas about using a spacer tube and the brake drum, then use the hub retaining nut to pull out the axle a little at a time. You'll need different length spacers, or shims to lengthen it as you go.

29 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

I used a slide hammer that I had available. Others have reported good ideas about using a spacer tube and the brake drum, then use the hub retaining nut to pull out the axle a little at a time. You'll need different length spacers, or shims to lengthen it as you go.

Thank you I’ll give that a try.

• 5 weeks later...

I just this morning pulled a pair of axles out of a P15 that would for all expended effort not budge using the drums as a puller....so....as a substitute and one I had used in the past, a very heavy flywheel with the right size bore to the rescue...slid it on, placed a heavy washer and then the nut on the shaft..couple bangs and they were out.  Do ensure you have the vehicle securely supported on stands before extracting.  While there is truly no substitute for the right tool....just wondering at my age how many axles pulls are left in my old bones and would it benefit me to buy the tool.  Just remember the option to borrow one from many of the big box part store loaner tool program is a reality.  It was my back up plan if the flywheel let me down

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I'm sure the one on Amazon is a overseas product at $41, but for someone who may only use it a few times in their life, why not? Rental would cost as much from O'Reilly Auto parts would likely be as much if not more and then you would have to bring it back. If your like me, you would rather have the tool anyway. 

rental from the parts houses, well my local area, you pay for the tool up front, bring it back for a full refund...no cost involved to use...they ensure if you do not return it they can purchase another with no out of pocket on them.  Initially this program is funded by the company as a incentive for you to purchase repair parts from them.  

3 minutes ago, TylerB46 said:

Man I’m kicking myself now, I paid $114 for mine.

I did too, I bought the OTC one, but that is just me. many people have good luck with the overseas ones. This one has some good reviews and some bad ones.

1 minute ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

rental from the parts houses, well my local area, you pay for the tool up front, bring it back for a full refund...no cost involved to use...they ensure if you do not return it they can purchase another with no out of pocket on them.  Initially this program is funded by the company as a incentive for you to purchase repair parts from them.  

I still do that if cash is tight, but if I have extra. I get the tool. Besides I live about 20 MI from town out in the AZ Desert. I don't buy a lot of parts from the parts houses anymore, I just order them and get them shipped in. I have plenty of vehicles so a break down or repair isn't a big deal.

I have the slide hammer tool here and could have sworn I have the axle foot attachment, but, if you can't put your hands on it when needed you really do not have much....lol  It is a bit large for the box I have my accessories in....today's kits are nice as they have injection molded cases...nice...!!

the tool that was shown is not an axle puller it is drum puller to puller off the brake drum from the rear tappered axle.  To pull the axle you need to  remove the brakes and disconnect the brake lines and then remove the backing plate.  Then you thread on to th end of the axle a slide hammer axle puller. There were specific miller axle pullers that were factory dealer tools.  I have one of the original axle pullers that came out of a mopar dealership.

I have attached a copy from the miller tool catalog that shows the factory axle puller. This is what I have, I have the two upper pictures not the bottom picture

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Miller factory rear Axle pullers.docx

This was the factory Miller tool to remove the axles...

Pulling P23 axleshaft (5).JPG

• Thanks 1

I have a travel kit tool box...it is a Craftsman brand with all pieces in their specific slot within the case.....it is great..I know at a glance if any tool is missing and look for it prior to moving from the scene of the repair....this has made me fond of the injection molded tool cases...kind of a built in anti-loss feature.