My new project: 1951 Dodge B3B 5-Window

I just bought my first vintage truck this past weekend; a 1951 Dodge B3B 5-Window.  Fortunately it has been garaged for the last 25 years so it doesn't look that bad.  As far as my automotive skills, I have next to none but I like to fix things and am looking forward to getting the flathead 6 running. 

All I know about the truck is that is was converted to 12v positive ground.  The wiring is pretty deteriorated so my first step is going to be to replace the wiring harness.  I am leaning towards buying an 8-circuit wiring harness from KwikWire.com.  Anyone work with KwikWire before or could make other recommendations?  The one thing that confuses me about the wiring is that it is positive ground.  I'd like to keep the positive ground so would I still follow the same directions with the wiring harness or would I have to make changes?

Also the tires were replaced with used ones from Les Schwab but they go flat after about 4-6 hours.  I'd like to keep them and get them repaired but I may just end up looking for replacements.  I see a lot of 16" 5x4.5 wheels on craigslist.  Would any of these work?  What do I need to look for in a wheel replacement?  Where can I find old Dodge hub caps?  They seem to be hard to find.

51DodgePickup_pic2.jpg

51DodgePickup_pic5.jpg

right on..... hey, we need to get you moved to the truck forum page.... I don't think as many see this page. you might ask a moderator to see if they can move this thread so you can get your questions looked at. 

• Like 1

Itek4bux,  welcome!  

i think I was watching this truck in CL for a few months now.... good job

If it were me, I would get it running and stopping then find the right grille.... LOL ?

Then figure out the tires and re-wire it. But that's just me.....

I made my own harnesses 

• 2 weeks later...

You found lots of 16" 5x4.5 Dodge wheels on Craigslist? I don't need any wheels, but which city are you finding them in. I thought they were rather hard to find. Also, original hub caps do come up on eBay now and then, but the trick is finding all four in good condition. Reproductions are available for about $75 each. Good Luck with your new truck. It looks good. Hope you stay original!

I have an extra wheel, don't need 6 but will decide which of them to pass on when I sort out new tires.

Got four half way decent hubcaps from disperse sources. @pflaming here, eBay and the Dodge Pilothouse Builds Facebook page. Got some real duds too. Have a few to pass on. I was going to use the duds to practice refreshing; rust removal, polish and paint. I expect in the end I will end up buying a new set from DCM? Andy Bernbaum's - forgot where I saw them. 

20171212_174806_crop_640x640.jpg