Water pump. Maybe

Today I cranked up the b2b for a little longer than in the past. It idles good I noticed the radiator very  hot propably rannthe truck for 3 maybe 4 min. After shutting off the truck had water come out the overflow tube.  I have greased the water pump but haven’t removed since I’ve owned it   The truck sat for 35 or so years before I got it. Thanks 

Need more information. What did the temp gauge show? How full was the radiator before starting the engine? If it was too full to begin with it is normal to puke out a bit of coolant to find the proper level. Did you check the temps with an infrared temp gun? Was the cooling system flushed/cleaned at all during the revival from its slumber? 

Sorry Merle. I did flush the system and I did fill up the radiator prior to cranking.  I do not have a working temp guage yet how full is too full. It was up to the top of the shroud not up to the cap thanks

Just now, Jj1981 said:

im going to change out the thermostat . Also the heater has been removed and one hose runs from the water bypass to the top connection on the block is this ok

Only if there is a valve at the back of the head that is closed. Otherwise it becomes a radiator bypass loop.

If you have not done so already, I would : 1) Remove the thermostat housing and check and/or replace thermostat if needed. 2) Remove all the components from the block, remove water distribution tube and as many core plugs as you can and thoroughly flush the block. 3) Replace the WDT. If the truck had sat for 35 years with water/coolant in the block before you purchased it, rest assured that there is all kinds of rust in it. Find a good temp gauge and install it. With proper maint. of the cooling system, these old flatheads will run cool in all types of climatic conditions. 

1 hour ago, Dozerman51 said:

If you have not done so already, I would : 1) Remove the thermostat housing and check and/or replace thermostat if needed. 2) Remove all the components from the block, remove water distribution tube and as many core plugs as you can and thoroughly flush the block. 3) Replace the WDT. If the truck had sat for 35 years with water/coolant in the block before you purchased it, rest assured that there is all kinds of rust in it. Find a good temp gauge and install it. With proper maint. of the cooling system, these old flatheads will run cool in all types of climatic conditions. 

So true. I still can't get over how much crud I got out of my trucks cooling system. And it sat for at least 20 years.

Jeff

My 51 B3B also sat out in a field for about 40 years.   The water pump was missing from the engine as were the radiator hoses.   Once I got the truck back on the road, I found that it was  that I couldn't go anywhere without it overheating.  I pulled the radiator and tried to run water though it to gage how well it flowed,  there was absolutely no water flow.  I ran water in the bottom outlet and injected compressed air into the drain fitting,  what I got was a geyser of water and mouse nests.  That radiator contained hand fulls of nests and nut shells.    Now that the radiator is well flushed it cools very well.  I thought I'd mention my experience on the off chance that your radiator also contains unwanted mouse houses.

Bill

ALl my hoses were in tact prior to the other day I had taken the rear heater hose off and had water coming out.  I assume that would tell me I have flow from the water pump.  I am also thinking that I have way too much water in the radiator it is filled to just below the filler neck no air gap      From posts I’ve been reading.