Warped Carburator Horn fixed

48ply1stcar

I came up about a tenth of a mile short of geting to my first car show.  The car ran poorly, the carb was leaking, I thought it was flooding.  The first real drive of the summer and the car is again dying a slow death.

It was a lovely day Monday as I sat at the picnic table looking at the carburator.  Disassembled, cleaned and put it back together.  Noticed that the horn and body of the carburator had a gap.  

One of the things I learned on this forum was to sand the horn smooth on a piece of glass.  Sanded until all surfaces were smooth, reassembled and it ran much better. 

Question:  I never use anything to seal the gaskets, anybody have luck with a spray-on gasket dressing?

Photo0843.jpg

the gasket is there for splash over....it is easy to just remove the top..place a thin film or grease on the carb body...lay a piece of gasket material over this and let the grease make a pattern for you....to aid in a good fit gasket..get the corner screws fit using a nail or other position holding pin before applying the grease...should guide you on and off with less chance of shifting the gasket material on the greased surface for an accurate transfer

on another note...be sure you have your float set correctly....a high float in warm weather is very prone to percolation...also it is said that the newer fuel expands a bit more than the old formula...many set their float just a tad lower than specs for this purpose...I am very sure only one of two folks here may accelerate to the point that there is a slim chance of running out of fuel in the bowl even with a slightly low output pump....

The idle and main air bleed are affected also a poor seal between the top cover and main carb body.

Can cause poor idling and or high speed mis- fire.481257533_CarterBBIDDescriptionofInternalPartsEV1.JPG.820207089d22d89d4c5dee126a62fe0b.JPG

Ball and Ball Carb.JPG

• Like 1