Looking to rent brake adjusting tool

insaneradio

Good evening,

I have owned my P-15 for almost 30 years.  I have spent way too many hours trying to get a good firm brake pedal-too no avail.  I tried every workaround without using the correct Miller tool etc.  I am tired of not having a good braking vehicle.  I wish to rent from a member the proper tool for adjusting the Lockheed brake system.  I will gladly pay a deposit to cover the cost of the tool.  I will return it in the same condition as I received it and will take great care of it while in my possssion.

Your assistance is GREATLY appreciated.  I can be contacted at 318-455-8099 or dbslusar@suddenlink.net

Much appreciated!!!

Dave Slusarczyk

Your location would be helpful. You can make one pretty easily with a dial indicator. Read this: http://p15-d24.com/page/p15d24/tech/brakes.html/

Also remember part of the process is making sure you drums have been turned and are true. 

52 minutes ago, P15-D24 said:

Your location would be helpful. You can make one pretty easily with a dial indicator. Read this: http://p15-d24.com/page/p15d24/tech/brakes.html/

Also remember part of the process is making sure you drums have been turned and are true. 

And make sure your shoes have been ground/sanded to match the drum's diameter.

Based on your area code I assume you are in northern or central Louisiana. Maybe there is a member near there who has either a Miller or Ammco tool and can pipe up.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.  Yes, I am in northern Louisiana.  You stated your shoes must be ground to match .  I will do some checking in my area at local brake shops and see if that is even possible here.  

I will read what you referenced. I would still like to get the "right" tool to complete the job.

Thank you again!

If the shoe lining arc does not match the drum the tool won't do any good.

Many have put adhesive backed sandpaper on the contact area of the drum, then run the shoe back and forth over the paper until the arc of the shoe matches the arc of the drum. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Wayf 51 said:

What grit should we use?

You might be over thinking this. :)

In my case, my local hardware store only had one grit available for the sandpaper they sold in sticky back rolls so that is what I used. I think you can go with a very course grit as you are doing shaping, not finishing.

40 and  50 grit is what is used on the Ammco  shoe arcing machines... and what I use on mine.