'55 Dodge Pilothouse project

Jeff Mead

I am continuing to breakdown my Dodge even further before starting to put it back together. I have been able to identify (through your help) it as a C1D6, produced in '54, titled as a '55. The picture I have attached is of the items for the front leaf springs. I would like to replace all of them. Not sure what it is called, but the item on the right (in the pic) I am going to try and clean up the internal threads, otherwise I will need to replace it as well as the one on the other side. I am wondering if I could get recommendations for a source (s). After I finish the front springs I will move to the rear.

Thanks for all of your help.

20180507_170009.jpg

2 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

Just a FYI.  Your 54 Dodge truck is not a Pilot House era truck but is a Functional Design era truck 1954-1956.

http://www.members.tripod.com/dodgetruckguy/

Hmmm...that is strange. I was sure there is an outline where an emblem (Pilothouse) would mount on the front end. I believe it is on the hood. I will look tonight when I get home.

Edited by Jeff Mead

3 hours ago, Jeff Mead said:

I am continuing to breakdown my Dodge even further before starting to put it back together. I have been able to identify (through your help) it as a C1D6, produced in '54, titled as a '55. The picture I have attached is of the items for the front leaf springs. I would like to replace all of them. Not sure what it is called, but the item on the right (in the pic) I am going to try and clean up the internal threads, otherwise I will need to replace it as well as the one on the other side. I am wondering if I could get recommendations for a source (s). After I finish the front springs I will move to the rear.

Thanks for all of your help.

20180507_170009.jpg

The U shackle and the spring bolts are available new. Roberts or DCM has them. You can also order that U piece from a jeep for significantly lower price but the height can be different. On the front of my 47 it was only about 1/4" off but on the rear it was about 1.5 if I remember correctly. I found old dodge U's without the screw on bushing for cheaper and then used the jeep bushings. On the front of mine I just used all jeep. As for that frame mount I don't believe anyone is reproducing those. 

• Like 1

Here is the link for the Willys shackles. They are around $10 each instead of $40 for the Dodge units. They are about 1 1/2" shorter which will lower the rig just a bit. 

Omix-ada 1827012

Omix-ada 1827013

http://www.rockauto.com/m/mobilecatalog.php?carcode=1421064&parttype=7484

Now that I have moved my transmission crossmember to the forward V8 position, I am contemplating adding the shorter shackles to the front for even more drop. In the L6 position, the crossmember is directly above the shackle and the shorter one could not be used.

Edited by 59bisquik
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Mead said:

Hmmm...that is strange. I was sure there is an outline where an emblem (Pilothouse) would mount on the front end. I believe it is on the hood. I will look tonight when I get home.

I think it should say 'Job Rated'

Should say Job Rated on both front fenders. On the center section of the hood is says Dodge and has either the round Dodge emblem for a L6 or the V logo for the V8 truck. There is nothing on the movable hood sections.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:17 PM, kencombs said:

I think it should say 'Job Rated'

You are exactly right. It was hard to make out the old outline, and since I was told it was a Pilot House, my brain told me that is what it was. Once I googled how the emblem for 'Job Rated' looks, it is obvious that is what it is. Thank you.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, Young Ed said:

The U shackle and the spring bolts are available new. Roberts or DCM has them. You can also order that U piece from a jeep for significantly lower price but the height can be different. On the front of my 47 it was only about 1/4" off but on the rear it was about 1.5 if I remember correctly. I found old dodge U's without the screw on bushing for cheaper and then used the jeep bushings. On the front of mine I just used all jeep. As for that frame mount I don't believe anyone is reproducing those. 

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I called Roberts and the gentleman I spoke was a ton of help and I got everything ordered for my front end. The pricing was not that bad at all either. I get that together and I will move to the back. I am sure I will have questions about that. Again, thank you.