1939 business coupe build

thebelvedereman

On 6/5/2018 at 11:22 AM, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Those shock mounts will fatigue and oil can the floor in short order.  Better to use a frame mount.

Adam

yeah, I plan to Weld a cross brace across the frame above the shocks and then Mount the shocks to the cross brace, when I get back down home, where I can work in my garage

Edited by thebelvedereman

1 hour ago, thebelvedereman said:

yeah, I plan to Weld a cross brace across the frame above the shocks and then Mount the shocks to the cross brace, when I get back down home, where I can work in my garage, and not laying on my back in the dirt, if I don't sell the car before then

If the cars you sell have repairs such as this remind me to never buy a car from you. I can imagine what the person riding in the back seat thinks when a shock absorber polks him in the behind. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thebelvedereman said:

well first off Don there is no back seat it's a business Coupe, and second, it was just a temporary fix so I could get some type of shock in the car, since the suspension kept bottoming out even just rolling it around in the yard, I love how you always pick apart everybody else's stuff, you're just a miserable lonely old man aren't you :)

A sad comment, and should be deleted...

• Thanks 1

So on the car I am assuming that there was not any rear upper attachment stud coming out of the frame? On my 39 Desoto there isa long rod that is bolted directly to the frame and this is the upper mount for the shock.  Check to see if there is a long rod that has a threaded end to mount the upper hole for the shock.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

5 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

So on the car I am assuming that there was not any rear upper attachment stud coming out of the frame? On my 39 Desoto there isa long rod that is bolted directly to the frame and this is the upper mount for the shock.  Check to see if there is a long rod that has a threaded end to mount the upper hole for the shock.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Yes the upper frame Mount is still there, but it has a GM rear end in it, and instead of the shock mounts facing inward like they do on the factory rear end they face frontwards, so I either need to fabricate some new lower shock plates / mounts, or just do what I did for temporary, and then weld in across bar above the rear end and mount the shocks to that which is what I plan on doing

8 minutes ago, thebelvedereman said:

Yes you are correct, Don's comment should be deleted, he has done this several times to me before, and also to many others on this forum

Sorry if my quote was misunderstood, I was referring to your reply.

1 hour ago, thebelvedereman said:

I know what you meant,, but Don is the one who is in the wrong, like usual, if he has nothing constructive to say, he should mind his own business, which he never does

not sure how pointing out a safety issue isn't constructive

moving along a little bit further, I figured out my accelerator linkage problems today, so now the carburetor butterfly opens all the way instead of just a third of the way like it was before, the guy had all kinds of nuts and bolts and spacers and washers all rigged up on the linkage, it was the stupidest setup I've ever seen, I am going to have to rebuild the steering box, and I think it needs kingpins too, oh well I'm into it for almost $10,000 now, what's a few more dollars