1939 business coupe build

thebelvedereman

yeah once I put the new wheels and tires on, put the Chrome back on, then unmask everything it might look different, I'm just not used to the color, it's kind of like a pastel color and I've never had anything like that on a car before,  I'll see what it looks like when I wake up in the morning :)

hey does anyone have the Chrome strip for the center of the grill for a 39, mine would need hours worth of work to straighten, it's mangled,  it took quite a bit of work with a rubber mallet and some other stuff to get the actual Grill back into shape before I painted it,  it was all pushed in in the middle

20180523_145733-1.jpg

Edited by thebelvedereman

6 hours ago, thebelvedereman said:

hey does anyone have the Chrome strip for the center of the grill for a 39, mine would need hours worth of work to straighten, it's mangled,  it took quite a bit of work with a rubber mallet and some other stuff to get the actual Grill back into shape before I painted it,  it was all pushed in in the middle

20180523_145733-1.jpg

I do have my old one. It’s not in the best of shape but looks better than that one. You can have it for the cost of shipping. I’ll post some pics but don’t get home till Tuesday. 

Edited by Lloyd
Add comment.

11 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

I do have my old one. It’s not in the best of shape but looks better than that one. You can have it for the cost of shipping. I’ll post some pics but don’t get home till Tuesday. 

Cool, does that mean I can get my shifter soon too :) just just kidding, take your time I'm in no hurry

LOL. 

Sure I’ll send that to. 

Get me your address. 

Should have them headed your way by Wednesday. 

I also have my old cloisonné - I think that’s what it’s called. The little emblem that attaches to the front of the center chrome strip. It’s scruffed up some but may get you by till you find a better one. 

BTW. I like the color you painted your coupe. 

21 hours ago, Lloyd said:

LOL. 

Sure I’ll send that to. 

Get me your address. 

Should have them headed your way by Wednesday. 

I also have my old cloisonné - I think that’s what it’s called. The little emblem that attaches to the front of the center chrome strip. It’s scruffed up some but may get you by till you find a better one. 

BTW. I like the color you painted your coupe

I sent you a private message with my address and stuff, thanks

well after struggling for a while to try and get the rear shocks mounted with a Chevy rear end I decided to fab my own upper mounts instead of trying to use the originals , it was easier than trying to make a set of bottom mounts, I just drilled holes through the floor got some four-wheel drive shock mounts,  made some 4 inch steel plates for above and below the floor to stiffen it up, and mounted them that way

all right wheels and tires on, I didn't put center caps on yet I can't decide what I'm going to do about that,  I got a little bit of a surprise, apparently someone switched out the driver side front drum with a passenger side drum because their right hand threads on both sides

20180529_185140-1.jpg

20180529_183833-1.jpg

Edited by thebelvedereman

I have a 39 Desoto and it has all right hand threaded bolts. The use of right hand threads is correct. Mother MoPAr switched to left and right in the later 40's. So i would say that you have the correct drums.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

10 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

I have a 39 Desoto and it has all right hand threaded bolts. The use of right hand threads is correct. Mother MoPAr switched to left and right in the later 40's. So i would say that you have the correct drums.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

OK cool,  I thought they started in the 30s, I can't believe the rear tires fit inside the fenders,  they're 305/60/15's, 13 inches wide 

made a little more progress today, sandblasted the sealed beam conversion bezels, painted them, got them all back together and in the car I got the tail lights back in and I put a set of hidden blinkers in the holes where the front bumper goes, I really want to Chrome the conversion bezels but there's a car show tomorrow and I want to see if I can make it

20180601_191548-1.jpg

20180601_192650.jpg

The more you put it together, the more the color is growing on me too.  I can't wait to see it in all its Glory....