Engine swap question

Ok, so I’ve nearly got the toasted 228 ready to pull out of my ‘50 1 ton. I just have to pull the transmission out. I couldn’t get the driveshaft off the transmission, got the 4 bolts off, but it won’t come off? So I figured I’d just leave it on. I’ve got everything disconnected from the transmission otherwise, and it slid back about an inch or so off the bell housing, them stopped. I can’t get it to come out anymore.

i can’t see anything holding it back or binding? I’m hoping to drop the 251 in tomorrow if all goes well.

1 hour ago, furiousgeorge said:

Ok, so I’ve nearly got the toasted 228 ready to pull out of my ‘50 1 ton. I just have to pull the transmission out. I couldn’t get the driveshaft off the transmission, got the 4 bolts off, but it won’t come off? So I figured I’d just leave it on. I’ve got everything disconnected from the transmission otherwise, and it slid back about an inch or so off the bell housing, them stopped. I can’t get it to come out anymore.

i can’t see anything holding it back or binding? I’m hoping to drop the 251 in tomorrow if all goes well.

The trans case hitting the floor or crossmember?

Or is it sticking the inputshaft collar on the release bearing or something.

Maybe pushing back in and go back and forth.

Its heavy so could be hanging up.

The driveshaft should pry away from the trans or heat it a bit maybe.

Did you run and drive this truck with a 228?

I do look forward to how the 250 compares for power increase and driveability.

Good luck just pull her out she'll go.

Yup, she drove pretty good before the rod bearing seized. I’m looking forward to going from 87 to 116-125ish (don’t know the year, and the numbers I’ve found online tend to wander). It’s not hitting anywhere, I can nearly spin it around in a complete circle. I’ll try going back in a few times. I’ve got a floor jack supporting it, and it moved fairly easily up until it didn’t!

55 minutes ago, furiousgeorge said:

Yup, she drove pretty good before the rod bearing seized. I’m looking forward to going from 87 to 116-125ish (don’t know the year, and the numbers I’ve found online tend to wander). It’s not hitting anywhere, I can nearly spin it around in a complete circle. I’ll try going back in a few times. I’ve got a floor jack supporting it, and it moved fairly easily up until it didn’t!

Thats like a 30% increase in power and torque should be very noticeable.

Looking forward to your report on this change.