ECI dual reservoir master cylinder?

busycoupe

I know that some of you have used an ECI master cylinder as part of a disc brake upgrade. I do not want to install discs, but I am interested in having the security of a dual reservoir master cylinder.  Has anyone done this install?  ECI advertises that their bracket will bolt to the original master cylinder location, will it be necessary to cut the floor for access to fill it?  Anything I should watch out for?  ECI advertises it will work with standard shift, has anyone had experience with their bracket using the stock brake and clutch pedals?

Thanks!

Don, thanks for the reply.  I had read your thread years ago, and just re-read it now. However, since I am not trying to use discs I was hoping to avoid some of your problems.  Unless ECI has improved their product over the last 8 years, I don’t think that I will try it.  I do not have the tools or inclination to fabricate pedal stops and deal with some of the other problems you had.  I think that a $300 kit should be more complete and ready to install.  Perhaps someone has had more recent experience with their product.

Dave B.

Edited by busycoupe

I installed the ECI dual reservoir master cylinder kit  on my 49 Wayfarer Roadster and have no complaints at all.

1 hour ago, busycoupe said:

Thanks Branded.  How long ago did you purchase your kit and did you continue to use a clutch pedal?

I have had mine installed for 2 years, yes I retained my clutch pedal and fluid drive.

Edited by Branded

Busycoupe,

As one of the people who was active in Don's megathread on the ECI master cylinder mount, I can say that the kit I received could have been used as is, if I was willing to accept (1) the horrible side-to-side clearance on the shaft, (2) the lack of either pedal stop, and (3) the requirement to drill additional holes in the frame rail because they didn't bother trying to line the holes on the bracket up with existing holes.  I just chose not to.

Marty

I could deal with the side slop on the shaft with spacers, like Don used. I could also drill another hold if need be. But I do not have the tools to fabricate and weld pedal stops.  How critical are they?  Why didn’t ECI include them?  Will the pedals come to a rest position without the stops?

Thanks, 

Dave B.

38 minutes ago, busycoupe said:

I could deal with the side slop on the shaft with spacers, like Don used. I could also drill another hold if need be. But I do not have the tools to fabricate and weld pedal stops.  How critical are they?  Why didn’t ECI include them?  Will the pedals come to a rest position without the stops?

Thanks, 

Dave B.

Without the stops the pedal rests on the floor board.

I installed an ECI kit and bracket, along with disc conversion.....but the master cylinder and bracket were no problem to install. Made hole in floor bigger. Had to grind a little off the mounting bracket somewhere but I can’t remember why.