I found a Spitfire ... in France!

quentin-89

Hello everyone

First, I would like to thank all the guys on this forum who post information and advices, this is real help for beginners like me.

Here is the reason of my post: I found a Spitfire 251 engine in France and “cherry on the cake” like we say here, it is a full flow.
I can’t believe it! Few weeks ago I was dreaming looking at your engines and today I have a Spitfire in my workshop.

The previous owner told me that it has been rebuilt long time ago but never used. I think it’s right according to the clean cylinders and pistons but I found a rivet into the head when I removed it, so a check will be useful.

The identification number starts with C48 so I guess it is a 1950 De Luxe or Windsor. I think it is the original grey color.

My regret: I don’t know the history of this engine, how did it come to France? When? What’s happened to the car? I don’t know.

Here are some pictures:

head.jpg.c4c939eadeb420e65e44513eed6c0e15.jpg

cylinders.jpg.d4f0599d5d5a9e0bb63196dee907d02f.jpg

1779296975_fullflow.jpg.059039826d47109faf241eb9ebb3e890.jpg

Regards

Michel

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looks rebuilt for sure... just how much only you will find out?

It probably came to France in a American military vehicle of some sort,or maybe in a generator,cement mixer,etc,etc,etc.

Hello all

Keithb7, it is a long block 25'' but it is a 251 CI.

Dozerman51, thanks! I have a WC-51 (1943) modified in fire truck just after the WWII. I would like to replace the 230 by this engine.

Chrysler41, nice engine, I will keep mine grey too. As Merle and Don explained, it is the location of the oil filter. You can see it on the botton right of my last picture and on the Don picture.

Don, thanks for the sketch. I thought that it was original full flow but in fact you need to plug the pipe, I got it now!

Regards

Michel

14 hours ago, quentin-89 said:

Hello all

Keithb7, it is a long block 25'' but it is a 251 CI.

Dozerman51, thanks! I have a WC-51 (1943) modified in fire truck just after the WWII. I would like to replace the 230 by this engine.

Chrysler41, nice engine, I will keep mine grey too. As Merle and Don explained, it is the location of the oil filter. You can see it on the botton right of my last picture and on the Don picture.

Don, thanks for the sketch. I thought that it was original full flow but in fact you need to plug the pipe, I got it now!

Regards

Michel

quentin-89 Thanks but it's not grey but Aluminium color almost like original

• 6 months later...
On 5/7/2018 at 9:06 PM, Don Coatney said:

Io insure a true full flow system a pipe plug must be installed internally in the block to direct all lil to pass through the full flow system as pictured below.

Full-flow_filter_passages.jpg

9.jpg

Hello Don, are these diagrams to make a non-full flow system to a full flow?  Or does this need to be done to a ‘full-flow’ system to make it a true full flow?

Reason I ask is that I currently have a 265 engine being rebuilt that has the full-flow filter and would like to do that to it if needed.

does anyone have an oil flow chart for these full flow long block engines?

i recently noticed that there is a passage connecting the pressure release valve canal directly to the main oil gallery.

that would mean there is a chance for unfiltered oil to get into the bearings, bypassing the filter,

although that pipe plug is installed. i'd love to know why it is there and how exactly the factory intended the pressure release piston to work.

the whole thing is different from the short blocks.

IMAG5374edit.jpg.0cb19515e2a8c576950ea116ac5c814c.jpgIMAG5371edit.jpg.37e1b083ff94ba57d2387eb849f3f3e5.jpg

sorry for hijacking this...

Edited by Cpt.Fred

that helps a lot, actually.

i always keep forgetting that the imperial club has all these neat little books online,

they're absolutely great!

from what i see here the answer to my question lies on page 14 of that book:

the mystery passage i was wondering about must be the dry run prevention sytem.

thanks, Don! ?

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2018 at 3:22 PM, Don Coatney said:

If your engine already has the pipe plug installed then you are good to go.

I cant confirm it did.   When I purchased the motor it had a toiletpaper filter in the canister so Im assuming it wasnt plugged or the tp would tear appart.

The engine has been rebuilt and is put back together its too late to plug it.