48 1 ton leaking master cylinder

Woke the truck up from storage, no puddles under the truck. Whet to get gas and beer, about 10 mile round trip. Parked in garage and see a puddle on the floor under the master cylinder, leaking from the rear boot where the plunger shaft goes in. Bad seal? I have the rebuild kit on hand. Does the cylinder need to be honed when I get it out?

thanks

Mike

Here's the problem, line coming out of the back/bottom of the master cylinder. The crack was facing straight down. Was not leaking over winter, but must have had a bit of water around the fitting? I remember that the road was wet and muddy the last day I drove it last fall. So maybe a small bit of water settled there and froze. Then the first time I drive it this year it let loose. While I have it all out I am going to put the new parts inside the MC, spring, cup, piston and all the other little stuff in there. Should be back to normal soon!

Mike

brake line.jpg

Edited by Mike 1948 1Ton
  • Like 1

Wow! there's some quality repair work!

Gotta go to steel and get it back to the factory connections.

• Like 1

way to pay attention to your truck Mike! that could have been a bigger deal  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Young Ed said:

AAAHHHH run from the copper! I'd check now and make sure there are no other copper lines. 

but don't run FROM Copper/nickel....run TO it!

1 hour ago, ggdad1951 said:

but don't run FROM Copper/nickel....run TO it!

Yes good call out on that!  Worked very well on FEF and I plan to use it on my 47 project. 

Good point, I will do a closer look at the lines to see if there is more copper. This little line actually goes to the brake lock solenoid (which doesn't work) so I think this could be the only copper piece (I hope).

Thanks for the comments!!!

Mike